VCU scientists are researching drugs that could improve brain function in people with schizophrenia

7 Likes

Haha VCU researchers are busy, and they put their efforts in the right direction!!
Cognition in schizophrenia is an unmet clinical need!
May god bless these scientists…
They are trying to make the world a better place…

1 Like

I think it will be benificial to the people who takes clozapine…am i right @Chess24 …

1 Like

I hope they prove me wrong but I don’t think this research team is going to come up with anything worthwhile for a variety of reasons: their hypothesis is not very creative, they are merely addressing side-effects of clozapine and the team looks like a united colors of Benetton campaign too worried with filling up quotas. Also this is worth mentioning again they are not working on a cure.

It’s already out there and called modafinil, but it can cause psychosis too if you’re not lucky

1 Like

I think when I took modafinal, most drugs would have made me psychotic. Ever since I start naltrexone, it opens the door for possibilities of other drugs. Like I take Zoloft which no doubt would have made me psychotic pre-naltrexone. I doubt modafinal would make me psychotic these days…

2 Likes

Brain research are always complicated then any other…to reach cure…they have to spent billions of dollar.which is why brain research are always lagging behind …they dont have enough funds…we are poor fated… only god can save us…

1 Like

VCU is a local university where I live, it’s not known for smart people.

1 Like

Valproate (a mood stabilizer) is also an HDAC inhibitor and is thought to make antipsychotics work better.

High levels of HDAC are found in people with Alzheimer’s.

1 Like

Is there a test to know if one has high-HDAC? The answer must be no. This really is a problem. We are shooting in the dark hoping to cure ppl. We should at least have some sort of biomarkers to know more about one’s mental state. (Smh)

1 Like

@twinklestars do we even know if sz is structural (neurons) or chemical? Is it the painting, the wiring that’s faulty or the coloring, the way the brain expresse itself?

Because if the problem is not the color, scientists should really work on the car. It’s been 60 yrs since the first AP and doctors still have no idea about what’s going on. ■■■■ me!!

I suspect all of the above.

The chemical imbalances probably stem from problems with the physical brain, the neurons, the glial cells, etc, which stems from the genetics in play as those structures were formed. Then outside influences (stress, etc) can exacerbate things.

2 Likes

Yeah biomarkers are definitely needed.

They’re working on it. HDAC inhibitors are used in cancer treatment, a quick google search revealed some work on biomarkers. I didn’t go into depth.

The pharma companies are also working on biomarkers to help determine which meds will work for whom.

1 Like