Urban Exploration

Anyone ever done any urban exploring? Like exploring abandoned buildings and whatnot?

In my teens we did some of this, we had these WWII era bunkers that went three stories underground and some of the “square rats” spraypainted an incredible mural in the main chamber of zombies and skeletons in top hots and whatnot…it was super creepy in the dim light of our flashlights. We also explored old houses, an abandoned radio station, an old brick textile mill, and dozens of buildings at what was then an abandoned air force base.

This came to mind as Lunaseer was talking about a woman I was briefly acquainted with who was into what is the ultimate cool of urban exploration…abandoned state hospitals. Never did it myself but from what she told me it sounded awesome. True, true, the more cautious among us might say “But it sounds dangerous!” It can be…but as most things that sound dangerous…it certainly was a barrel of fun back in the day :wink:

Anyone else ever go exploring in this fashion?

1 Like

When I went to University of Cape Town in South Africa there was an abandoned zoo right next to the campus. I went in a couple of times to walk around. It was pretty cool seeing the old cages, imagining what had been there in the past.

There are also some abandoned state hospitals in my area. I’ve never explored them because I don’t want to get in trouble with the law or anything like that, but I know some people who have and have found them to be quite fun to venture about on.

When I was homeless, I would do this for a place to crash. Too bad some of the places my fellow homeless and I broke into weren’t exactly abandoned…

I did find an amazing mural in a dark corner of an old mill in Tacoma once. I wish that wall would have been taken out before the building got knocked down.

1 Like

Yeah I know I wouldn’t do it anymore…not these days as I am far more the law abiding citizen than I was back then…the last thing I need is a trespassing charge these days.

That sounds like a wonderful memory. I love to do this kind of thing. Wander and explore the shadows and places where you feel that nobody pays attention to. Places where you feel the others file under dangerous are overlooked. The feeling of surprise and treasure and secrets I love especially. I always feel safe in a place that I know is kept away from ordinary folks paths. It invokes an at home feeling. It’s hard to explain, but I never feel that if I find a vagrant in the shadows I will be attacked. I know I will be welcomed. I have had experience of being in a loving state of mind, finding a stranger in a strange place and they recognize me as a friend from their world. If I had fear in me, they would be threatened. But I have love in me so I can not be a threat.

1 Like

I did some of this but in the safety of my car, the relative safety anyway.

Id drive out to nowhere in the middle of the night, only minimally understanding where i was and how to get back.

Once a guy was giving me directions and i was unknowingly taken to a very old old house in the middle of nowhere, there were hundreds of crosses placed in front of it. I didn’t know what had transpired there and i didn’t want to know.

Kind of the same thing.