Unmedicated schizophrenia

What’s it like to have a diagnosis of schizophrenia but not take medication? I’m coming off medication by approval of my doctor. Post thoughts and discuss.

1 Like

strange …are u stable with ur symptoms…

Yes. I don’t want to take it because it makes me feel very tired throughout the day, without motivation. Also it gets in the way of my homework.

how iz ur normal life…

Fine. I don’t have any problems.

what can I suggest is do exercise drink plenty of water visit psychotherapists try natural medication like sarcosine etc etc
stay share love love love that’s best medicine available right now…

1 Like

My meds make me tired also.

Its going to vary a lot by person. Some people do pretty well - but it really helps to at least have regular therapy - probably Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

2 Likes

allopathic medicine are like that only…

Allopathic? …

if u can access ayurved from ur country give it a try…its free from side effects…do google (Ayurveda n sz)

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Maybe just lower the dosage?**

2 Likes

absolutely.

I think that unloading all the bull**** that accumulates in the mind on someone thats payed to take it goes a long ways…in terms of wellness.

1 Like

It’s totally different for each person and their environment. I was diagnosed, went on meds for a year, came off and over a 2 year period went off course inch by inch each day. Was eventually hospitalised again after a psychotic break.

When you say you’re doing it with your doctors approval, do you mean cooperation or approval?

1 Like

Approval. I asked to come off. To try.

1 Like

I do not think we have ever even considered the long term toxicity of these medications. We also only partially know how they work on the brain. Can we really and safely say these medications are not truly addictive in any manner? They say that if we stop taking the meds; the symptoms may return. (May is the operative word; as that may not apply to everyone. Each person is an individual; not a statistic.) Does the possible return of symptoms may not indicate an addictive quality to these medications? I have also heard and know of some people experiencing withdrawal symptoms when coming off the medications. May this not indicate an addictive quality? Both taking and not taking medications requires considerable deliberation and thought. It is courageous to not take medications. Sometimes, it is necessary to not take medications for your health and if you plan to live. I had to stop my medications; but I do see my therapist and pdoc once a month. Take my dear friend. You have every right to do what is the very best for you and your health. You are the most important person in your life!

Personally, I can’t make it without my med’s. Any time I’ve tried it has been a disaster. I’m not going to try to say what’s right for you, but I do recommend that you do it with medical supervision.

1 Like

A lot of other types of people are dependent on medications to keep them alive as well. I look at our meds as the best prosthetic that they can build for us for our brains at this time. If we didn’t use them they would not be tested as well by so many different types of schizophrenics for such a long time so we should at least be thankful that were are allowed to advance this field of medicine for our great grandchildren’s benefits and maybe theirs will need some too, but who knows unless we try them first. My life is not such a total waste believing this much anyway. And go plant a tree somewhere if you can’t have or don’t want kids. Pecan trees can live for up to three hundred years in the right location and make great shade trees as well.

1 Like

I’m inclined to agree (in no small part because that’s exactly what worked for me). But having seen de-titration work for quite a few people, I have to think it’s worth exploring. Meds are rarely a “perfect solution” for any psychiatric problem, but they often help – even at reduced dosage – especially in concert with psychotherapy.

2 Likes