Trump Names Former SAMHSA Critic As Mental Health Czar: Dr. Ellie McCance-Katz

2 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t even know about SAMHSA and that it’s a federal organization until I read this article. Thank you @firemonkey.

â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  dangerous

I dunno, I’m not a Trump fan, but she sounds OK. Seems to be a fan of evidence based medicine and takes SMI seriously…

But I don’t know her, why do you think she’s dangerous?

Her view on Psychosis (according to the article)

I dunno. I like her bill. She is pushing to require Medicaid to cover all ADs and APs. When I was on Medicaid, they refused to pay for my Geodon. My doctor had to fight them over it. It would be nice if other people didn’t have to deal with that in the future.

3 Likes

What was it about her view on psychosis?

I think maybe you misread it? Or else I missed it.

It could be read that way, but there is a link in the linked article with more info which may clarify:

"The federal agency responsible for running mental health services in our country is openly hostile toward the use of psychiatric medicine, doesn’t focus on helping the seriously mentally ill, and questions whether bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are even real, arguing that psychosis is just a “different way of thinking for someone experiencing stress.”

That scathing charge was levied earlier this week by Dr. Elinoe F. Mccance-Katz, who spent two years as the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s first Chief Medical Officer. In an article published in the Psychiatric Times, Dr. Mccance-Katz writes that SAMHSA’s Center for Mental Health Services, which administers federal mental health programs, ignores serious mental illnesses and evidence based practices in favor of feel-good recovery programs that are politically popular but do little to help persons diagnosed with debilitating disorders."

It seems to me she may have been making the claim that SAMHSA didn’t believe psychosis was real.

1 Like

Right, not that she thinks it isn’t real.

But it was worded a little oddly.

1 Like

Yeah, I can totally get getting a different idea about that.

Yeah it was worded badly

1 Like