Trump budget science cuts

Could set us back a decade. If you have a republican Congress person you might want to write and ask them to not cut funding for the NIH.

If the proposed budget does happen, at least there are scientists in other countries who can continue to work, but it would be a terrible blow to US scientists.

1 Like

How are they justifying these cuts?
I mean I know that republicans are typically assholes but what’s their rationale. Health is something that affects everyone regardless of race creed or color.
Do republicans not get sick?

Sorry, for some reason I could not post the link I wanted to, trying again.

1 Like

I don’t quite get the rationale. They want to spend money on things that they say are proven … not sure how medical science is unproven, even though not everthing pans out. But hell, they’re saying that giving kids school lunch doesn’t improve test scores, so who knows. They want to spend the money on military and the wall (that Mexico was allegedly going to pay for).

2 Likes

Typical republican agenda(military and defense)
But I heard not to long ago that Trump was going to streamline the FDA approval process. Make it more like a free market than a beurocracy.
Cutting spending on research would grossly undermine any attempt to do this.
I’m confused and disappointed by this news.
Under Obama science was having a renneisance.
“Lost generation” means no hope for a cure in my life time

As frustrating as the wait on the FDA is, I’m not sure how much Trump could make a difference there, even when the FDA fast tracks meds the research still takes a long time. And we wouldn’t like no oversight. The only thing I could think that would really speed up the process would be if you couldn’t sue if the drugs damaged you. And I wouldn’t go for that personally.

I’m afraid it would be a major setback for an eventual cure. There’s a lot of good work being done in Australia and Europe and China but remember Dr. Lodge with the stem cell cure for rats? Pretty sure he’s in Texas.

1 Like

I think that the US is a mess, guns all over the place,
no clear immigration policy, and an alleged sexual offender and bigot as president.
Oh, and very high imprisonment rates.
Frankly, I prefer to depend on countries other than the US for a cure.

1 Like

When congress and the president take a cut in their pay first, then they can cut funding a little.

2 Likes

I personally thought that Israel was leading the way in research towards a cure. Them or the broad institute of Max Planck. I don’t know if they will ever have a complete cure but something to prevent psychosis for me would be a miracle.
Somehow I don’t believe that this will set things back, either it won’t pass legislature or it won’t make much of a difference. Trump is a buffoon. I voted for him too because I didn’t care at the time and I wanted to see what he was going to do. I didn’t think he would dismantle obamas entire legacy when it came to healthcare. Forget about obsmacare it’s the research that I liked.

The NIH is pretty important for brain science research. Besides grants to scientists to study a variety of things, there’s this:

https://www.braininitiative.nih.gov/

The brain initiative was launched by Obama administration, I don’t know what will happen to it under trump.
@twinklestars

Not sure what guns and the immigration system have to do with the potential individual scientists and universities have in their studies.

It would be silly to consider throwing away that potential for political reasons. I wouldn’t decline results coming from China even though they have a poor human rights record, nor from US even though we have a high murder rate.

Yeah, seeing as how Trump seemingly wants to undo anything Obama did, simply because it’s got his name on it, I’m not hopeful. I guess the best we can hope for is a rebranding, if he can kill it, tweak it, and rename it for himself, that’d be in line with his personality.

In China they probably experiment on living subjects for all we know. Ex cons and homeless people.
I think whatever it takes to find a cure. There have been times when I wanted to donate my brain to science while I was still alive

I this about just letting the big companies take over instead ?

Obama gave one company the two thumbs up. Obama signs Monsanto Protection Act!

We regret to inform you that President Barack Obama has signed H.R. 933.

No big deal. It just means that Monsanto can use humans as GMO guinea pigs, and if your health takes a nosedive, well then tough luck because the Monsanto Protection Act says that you can’t sue Monsanto no matter what.

@MeghillaGorilla1 where did you get that information from?
Please don’t criticize China unfairly, I love this country.

Just a guess. No offense to China I’m sure it’s a beautiful place and I have never been.

Big companies are fine, but they can’t really do the long term research that universities and hospitals can because their investors are looking for a profit in the near future. So they have little capability to invest in a technology, like stem cells or CRISPR that is going to take decades to translate into human use. I’m not saying they have NO interest, but if you look where the cutting edge research is coming from, it’s not private industry.

Wikipedia has some info on China’s human rights issues. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_China

It is most unfortunate that because of my cognitive problems I can’t read this properly
@twinklestars