Top ten most accomplished athletes in your opinion (4 major American sports)

Sorry to non Americans not being included on this thread. I’m sure I’m forgetting people but it’s something like this. In no order

Michael Jordan
Lebron James
Bill Russell
Tom Brady
Joe montana
Wayne Gretzky
Babe Ruth
Hank Aaron
Derek jeter
And the newest addition to the list: Sidney Crosby

That’s my list

I would like to put Kobe Bryant and Jerry rice maybe too but I think hockey should have 2 not just 1.

How about Pete Sampras? He’s American and he’s won 14 majors in tennis. Granted, not an “american” sport but still amazing.

1 Like

Not an American major sport but I think nadal and Federer are even more impressive! Sampras was cool tho. But yeah. :blush:

Then, there’s also Tiger Woods… but again, you limited this top to american sports so he probably doesn’t fit either.

1 Like

Ya basketball, football, baseball and hockey are the 4 major American sports. Tiger was supposed to be the greatest but his career really fell off. He just got a dui for abusing his pain pills. Jack Nicklaus is the greatest golfer. But tiger was the greatest during his prime. Nicklaus had more longevity though.

1 Like

No one cares about wrestling, but the most accomplished amateur wrestler from the U.S. was probably Dan Gable. In the 1972 Olympics he dominated the international competition the same way he dominated the college competition at home. No one scored a point on him. That’s really something, for a wrestler to dominate international competition like that. John Smith, Cael Sanderson, and Bruce Baumgardener were also U.S. wrestlers who had enormous success in international competition.

1 Like

Hey, I have a Sidney Crosby shirt!

1 Like

Baseball

1. Babe Ruth
  2. Willie Mays
  3. Ted Williams

Football

1. Jim Brown
  2. Jerry Rice
  3. Joe Montana

Basketball

1. Michael Jordan
  2. Magic Johnson
  3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Hockey

1. Wayne Gretzky
  2. Bobby Orr

Of course ranking these players is somewhat subjective. I think Wayne Gretzky is the most dominant player in his sport, Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan have to be included in their respective sports, and football was the most difficult sport for me to rank (several other players I could have put in my top 3).

1 Like

Good list, I thought of most those guys. Especially mays over Aaron. I don’t like Ted Williams on the list though :sob:

Thanks for your contribution kindness.

1 Like

@Goyankees

I had a feeling you wouldn’t like Ted Williams lol…Okay, I’ll change to Lou Gehrig

2 Likes

Wasn’t Lou Gehrig the one who got ALS ?

2 Likes

@Andrey

Yes. Gehrig had ALS ( aka Lou Gehrig’s disease).

1 Like

LOL I didn’t know the disease was named after him. Sad thing that’s what made him famous abroad…

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=626Dt9JdjQs

1 Like

Tennis:

1. Serena Williams
  2. Venus Williams

NFL: Tom Brady

Soccer: Pele’

NBA: Michael Jordan

Curling: hmmm?

lol

2 Likes

Gordie Howe, anyone???

3 Likes

MY list is new school. I wanted to put Aaron judge in it lol :joy:

1 Like

mr ali should be on this top 10… wonderful boxer and character to match…a little cocky but humor filled at the same time…

Usain Bolt
Ashton Eaton
Isinbayeva