Too paranoid to move out

I am waiting to move out of my house.
I am on a waiting list for Supportive Housing (Group Home)
The thing is I don’t know what to expect when it comes to my room mates, never been in that kind of situation before.
Honestly don’t know if I can live with a couple of strangers.
Getting more and more paranoid about it.
I can back out of the situation at any time if need be.
Nothing is set in stone.

2 Likes

Do you think it is paranoia or just self doubt in your ability to handle the situation?
You could do it, living with roommates can be a nice change

2 Likes

I can back out of the situation at any time if need be.

You mean you can go there, and see what it’s like, and if you don’t like it you can return? If so there’s nothing to worry about. It’s a good situation!

4 Likes

Yeah could be self doubt @anon31257746
Everyone wants me to give it a shot.
I’m just real nervous about it.

2 Likes

Yes @everhopeful I can back out of it and say no if I don’t like it.
I’m going to meet with my room mates during the day for a couple of days to see if I like it.

2 Likes

Sounds like a very good situation. I wouldn’t be worried, you can’t lose really.

2 Likes

Yeah thanks @everhopeful
I may give it a chance

Sounds like this could be a good thing, @Wave. Hopefully when you meet with the roommates you will hit it off. Best wishes.

3 Likes

You definitely should give it a try. Its always going to be nerve wrecking but the best feeling is when you get there and you realize everything is going to be fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know it seems scary but you will be okay and have a good start at a life on your own. Dont worry too much but I know its easier said then done AND I do know the feeling. If it helps you I am very symptomatic and yet I still manage to live on my own. Stay well :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a wonderful opportunity. I don’t think we have anything like that in my area (Seattle) maybe we do but I am unaware. I only know of the RTF’s (Residential treatment Facility’s) but not group homes. May I ask if you are on Social Security? and if so, do they take a portion of it? Also, where do you live? Good luck to you on your upcoming move. You can always retreat if it isn’t right.

1 Like

I wish I hadn’t moved away from living on my mom’s farm. I was younger then and didn’t see the beauty of living at home. now mom lives alone and I visit her but I was really happy living on the farm except that my youngest brother was a teenager and didn’t want me there at the time. oh well.

2 Likes

Hey @Wave. I think it’s natural to be a little anxious when making a change in one’s living situation.

With that said, it seems like this would be a good opportunity for you to try living with roommates and see if you like it. You might be very surprised that you actually enjoy it! Also, it seems like it would be pretty low risk since you can always return to live with your dad if living with roommates in a group home isn’t to your liking.

Since you’re on a waiting list, have they given you an idea when there’ll be an opening for you?

Hi @Moonbeam
The waiting period can take weeks to up to years.
It varies.

1 Like

We all fear change. Don’t burn any bridges, and see if they’ll let you come back if the group home doesn’t work out.

1 Like

Yes I collect SSDI.
I think that they take 300 dollars (a third) of my pay.
I am from the North East of the United States.
Near New York City.

It doesn’t matter to me to move out or not out…
I feel very bad…
Life is not for me, certainly not in my current condition…
Only thing I do properly is fitness…

1 Like

The big problem is that I suffer with a lot of paranoia surrounding food.
I am constantly worried that others might drug my food or drink.
Even worried about my toothpaste being drugged!
This has been an issue with me for a while and it could be OCD related.
MEDS don’t take care of my fears.
How do I share a House and Kitchen with others when I am constantly freaking out about being drugged!
Maybe if I got a chance to choose my own roommates this would be a different story.

The group home I was in a few years back was awesome, I had my own room and they would really advocate for me and managed to keep me off injectables (Needle phobia)!

I also had my own room, so could always retreat to my own space!!!

The only bad thing is they would get excited about some things and kept a file on me. Things like me saying I’d call up the Mental Health Crisis Team and say I was a member of staff and try to get the relief staff member sectioned :blush:

I became a peer support volunteer and go back there once a week to talk to the residents!

1 Like