Think global. Go global #2

Finally, I have had little progress in understanding Western ways of talking and thinking.

Grown as ethnic Chinese, influenced by Japanese, and mixed with limited numbers of people from ASEAN countries— I could barely say, I knew the East (Asia).

I always imagine it can be represented by a man groaning out a deep voice while nodding his head: hai, wakarimashita. (Yes, I understood!) — I mean with deep respect from the heart.

On the contrary, I had limited exposure in Western culture (although I speak not much of English).

Been to Australia for half year (and counting), and exchanged ideas on international forums. ----I am still finding the Westerners’ way, enjoying more pizzas and sausage rolls, and latte.

I think I can start imagine how.

3 Likes

Ok I’m responding because you have my name in caps…I never think of pizza, sausage rolls, and lattes. We’re the same as you @Plumber. Your perception is wrong on our majority. We’re not that different than yours…even though we have a high obesity rate, we’re not all about food and starbucks. We’re on the same path…just a different trail.

I’ve been in eastern asia btw…nothing close to western society at all…literally nothing.

Thank you for reminding me of that.

i think the main difference between western culture and china is capitalism versus communism and freedom of the press and an individual’s freedom of speech. these are good things about the western world i think.

2 Likes

I’ve known quite a few Asian people, but in the US. (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean and Cambodian)… definitely some difference in culture. Some still do the parent or brother chaperon thing for dating, until marriage…
not much drinking at all…
But I also found some racial tension, mainly between Chinese and Japanese, and then the Vietnamese and Cambodian. I understand a lot of this is based on old wars or invasions (Nan-King for example). That’s similar to the Native american vs European white tension…

Speaking of global and business…I used to work in the fishing industry… Buy frozen Alaska Salmon. many times the package will say product of china, caught in US or Japanese waters. The fish is caught and brought in to the US northwest for initial processing, frozen and shipped to China or Japan. There it is processed a little more, or just placed in the bags with the brand name on it and shipped back to the US for sale.
OK, nice to see people working together, but why does the fish have to travel around the world to return to the place it was caught to be sold? I know it gives some Chinese people jobs, but I can imagine the cost of all that shipping back and forth also makes the fish prices higher in the US.

Yes, it is. I even notice tension among Chinese between Formosa Strait.

Maybe everyone should learn from history a lesson, then just forget it and forgive each other.