The scent of rosemary boosts memory?

THIS… is interesting:

A study of pensioners found that simply being in a room diffused with the smell of rosemary boosted memory test scores by 15 per cent.

Although it might not seem much, academics at the University of Northumbria say it could mean the difference between remembering to take medication, or not, which could prove life-saving.

To test whether it had an impact on older people, the researchers randomly allocated 150 pensioners to a room scented with rosemary, lavender or no aroma. They were then asked to pass on a message at a given time during the procedure, and to swap tasks at a specific time, to test their memory.

Those in the rosemary room were found to perform far better on the memory tests than the other two.

Read it all here:

3 Likes

We’re moving my dad into assisted living in a few weeks. I’m going to bring a Rosemary diffuser for his apartment!!!

Not just rosemary, herbal tea is also mentioned in the article.

A total of 180 participants were randomly allocated to receive a drink of peppermint tea, chamomile tea or hot water.

After a twenty minute rest the participants completed tests that assessed their memory and a range of other cognitive functions. Following the tests participants completed another mood questionnaire.

Analysis of the results showed that peppermint tea helped improve long term memory, working memory and alertness compared to both chamomile and hot water.

Chamomile tea significantly slowed memory and attention speed compared to both peppermint and hot water.

Dr Moss added: “It’s interesting to see the contrasting effects on mood and cognition of the two different herbal teas.

“The enhancing and arousing effects of peppermint and the calming/sedative effects of chamomile observed in this study are in keeping with the claimed properties of these herbs and suggest beneficial effects can be drawn from their use.”

2 Likes

Chamomile is off the menu.

1 Like

“The scent of Rosemary boosts memory”

That depends on whether or not Rosemary has had a shower. :wink:

1 Like

I use essential oils, and yes rosemary is very mentally stimulating (in a good way). I also use it in the shower and it smells amazing. I often mix it with lavender or patchouli, but then I do love my dirty hippie smells.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=rosemary+and+memory

Not just scents! McDonald’s spent millions researching their colours for their Brand, I read.

Apparently yellow and red stimulate hunger…hence the big yellow M and red restaurants for their burger chain.

1 Like

I would like a remedy to slow down my speech but on the other hand improve my listening skill.

Whenever my kids have an important or just big test, I bring peppermint candy for them (with peppermint oil) because I heard it boosts cognition. And it’s yummy!

1 Like