The S word

Confused how the word Skitzo getting post here a few times doesn’t send shivers up most of your spines. Gives me the creeps. Makes me angry etc etc Am I alone on this? Just seems such a derogatory term for our illness.

1 Like

NO… I don’t like the word skitzo… I’ve been called that too many times. It is derogatory… at least… it’s always been used in a derogatory way.

but I know some people like to try and get a rise out of others.

3 Likes

Yeah, we don’t need to stigmatize ourselves with what is basically an insulting slur.
I’m not sure though, black people call themselves the n-word and gays call themselves queers.
Is calling ourselves schizo, really a way of owning our disease? A cop once referred to me as schizo and it was pretty demeaning.

2 Likes

On my email for updates from this site it says (schizo. …) because I guess the don’t wanna spell out the website. It disturbs me.

Mine doesn’t. I’d say your email/program just shortens it.

I think it just short for what the word is. WOW really annoyed right now… I’ll meditate.

I have no problem with other people who have schizophrenia using the word. I might feel differently if someone who didn’t have schizophrenia used the word, maybe. Like @77nick77 says, it’s like us owning the disease.

It’s actually on my phone, and I don’t have gmail set up on my laptop, so that might be why.

1 Like

Schizo - means split or division.
Schizo - affective as an example.

Its really about time that they replace the term schizophrenia with something more logical and modern.
Schizo or Skitzo comes form the now stigmatizing word schizophrenia.

The schizophrenia word has become synonymous with psychopathy or sociopathy in many ignorant peoples minds.

Change the word already - it may not completely eradicate the stigma, but could soften or lessen it

1 Like

I don’t see whats wrong with the word it just describes an illness I might be wrong though.

the farrely brothers; me myself and irene was hilarious. that movie is so ignorant on schiz , its almost like an artistic decision.

but its well funny :slight_smile:

I think it’s dehumanizing. I just heard someone not 2 weeks ago say, “I’m having a schizo day.” I bit my tongue. I’ve also heard people say “I’m schizing out today.” I hate that stuff.

5 Likes

Well I am having a schizo day! Everyday.

Maybe some people really just sometimes feel that way.

That word is used so much nowadays it doesn’t have the shock value to me that it used to.
I personally dislike being called “psychotic” by the “professionals”

I think some might own the S word as blacks own the N word. The problem arises when it is used by others.

In Portugal they now tend to use “schizophrenic” and “bipolar” very much. In politics, even in entertaining\culture shows just because it’s fashion or something like that. It pisses me off really. I don’t even like the therapist referring to people who have schizophrenia as schizophrenics. I’d prefer people with schizophrenia.

it does not bother me personally…sorry it does for you. :heart:
take care :alien: