The National Schizophrenia Awareness Day

24 May is the world schizophrenia day.
Anyone got some ideas how we as community could mark that day?
It would be nice if the sz.com could join the worldwide efforts in breaking the chains of stigma.

6 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

Its horrible how people are uneducated about mental illnesses in general but specially when it comes to schizophrenia.

Like…from my experience, either they imagine a mad man walking through the city talking to himself or a human plant stucked in the house forever. Pisses me off.

1 Like

When my in laws first found out I was diagnosed sz at the time they asked my partner," is she dangerous?" Just like I’ll flip out over the tiniest thing or something. They don’t trust me with their little girl. My father in law gets a kick out of calling me crazy especially in front of everyone.

That sucks. Really. What an assholes.

we didnt really talk about it in our house, my dad helped a bit when i was having trouble sleeping and i was scared but he didnt want to listen to it, he was still a good support and i realize thats probably helped me in some way idk, i remember when i was diagnosed he went to the library and told me he had researched it and i believe he did, i loved my dad.

4 Likes

I feel exactly the same way, Sarad.

People with schizophrenia are experiencing what I call “double indemnity.” We are punished by the illness itself, and at the same time we are punished by the stigma of this illness.

3 Likes

we should boycott the press or something, tell them we’ve had enough, we are not crazy people we are just tormented, you cant blame as all for the actions of a few criminals, most of us are harmless and most of us are more likely to harm ourselves and get harmed than harm anybody else, we can live in society with the help of medication without causing any trouble.

5 Likes

I think that you are right, let me tell you that as a person thats obviously a little off its difficult just living .

I noticed folks in big cities are planning 5K run/walk events or are presenting material that pertains to the human rights of those with Schizophrenia.

What can be done to bring awareness or change minds? At my end, becoming more familiar with groups who make it their everyday goal to bring about social inclusion.

In a 2012 neuroanthropology blog, I read how Prof. Tanya Lurhmann reported how individuals in Accra, Ghana and Chenai, India were not stigmatized.

The individuals in the two examples above were not shunned nor socially excluded. The reasons why would not go over well here; however, their willingness to socially include those they do not give a denigrating label to shows how there is no excuse for Western folks to continue to stigmatize those they do not know.

With the clearest examples provided and communicated to end outdated social judgement and stigma in the linked source, the effort to change minds has been grim.

Effectiveness of Changing Minds campaign factsheets in reducing stigmatised attitudes towards mental illness

2 Likes

Light A Candle ,

Grab Some Wine ,

Go To Your Quiet Space ,

Jus Three Sips Into Your Glass For Tha Wine ,

Get A Piece Of Paper and A Pen ,

Light Tha Candle ,

Sip Tha WIne ,

and Write A Note To The Creator ,

Happi OR Sad ,

and Enjoy Your Personal Holiday ,

Cause As Yoko Ono Says With Her Days Of Peace As She Lites A Candle ,

" _________________________ " ,

((( John Lennon - Imagine . )))

2 Likes

Guys wait listen I have the perfect solution

Let’s put PCP in everyone’s water and make them experience our lives for a day…or LSD…or shrooms…but how to make sure that the trip is bad?! Is there such thing as bad acid?

My solution is bad LSD, bad acid in the water. Everyone gets to be the pumpkin king and wear a jack o lantern on their head and a black pin striped suit if they do what I do.

HAHAHAHAHAHA normal people inferior

Superior master humans of the high intelligence schizophrenia subtype. I had a dream that aliens visited and took extreme interest in me due to me being schizophrenic. Like “whoa this one is not like the others but he functions! STUDY IT, invade his body!”

Normal people and their sane problems. You know that “first world problems” meme? How about sane person problems meme. Or at least healthy people problems. People with ■■■■ like multiple sclerosis have it pretty bad like we do.

But some of us are headstrong and blow people’s minds. I blow my own mind sometimes. I don’t kid, I’m serious.

Time to end post…but I am derailed and want to keep talking.

Let’s talk about deviated septums. I think I have one, I got tuned up in sparring today with blood and ■■■■. My nose is obviously broken and swollen to an extreme and it hurts the whole area hurts. I am seeing the doctor tomorrow like eh mick fix my nose

Doctor orders no more fighting

Mouse disobeys

House arrest

Substance abuse
Slowly but surely committing suicide

Watch him bleed and stand back up

Faggots

1 Like

That was a delightful ranting.

1 Like

Evenin Sarad Hope You Are Having A Safe and Pleasant EveninG .

I’ve spoken to a couple Indians with schizophrenia about this study and both agreed it was untrue. They felt like pariahs and many did not have jobs or girlfriends. Maybe those two were just unlucky but I’m very wary of that study.

The primary problem is how the media portrays sz’s. As someone with bipolar I can tell someone and they don’t necessarily freak out. Usually they’re like, “I have a lot of mood swings too, I wonder if I’m bipolar”. Or they talk about Jimi Hendrix or Kurt Cobain being bipolar. Creating some type of organization that harassed the media whenever they unfairly represented sz would be helpful. Also I suggest boycotting movies and TV shows that unfairly portray sz’s.

A lot of people are too judgmental and think too highly of themselves. If people find that someone is “different” than them (including religion, politics, skin color, mental health, etc), then they think the person must be flawed in some way to preserve their superior image of their self.

The bottom line is people need to be more tolerant and accepting of others. If you were born with the same genetics and had every life experience that person had, then you would be that person.

1 Like

A few bad apples spoil the bunch.

1 Like

Yeah…but it counts only for powerless minorities. When the white male commits robbery no one will blame the whole race.

1 Like

Mouse, I have to say: your badassness is a real treat lol, and probably a good indicator for a positive prognosis, in my opinion :fist:

Be Well,

Anthony

1 Like

I think we should all dress in the same color (we need a sz-color like black blocs’ is, well, black, any suggestions?) load ourselfels with molotov-coctails and hit the streets! :smiley: lol, I’m kidding…or not…