The hidden work of pets in helping people with mental health problems

A short video

5 Likes

I love my rats. When I got them classified as therapy animals at first it was just a joke, I just wanted to be able to keep them in my apartment with me. But then I realized they truly were therapeutic…when nothing else got me out of bed they did because I knew they relied on me to care for them…they have comforted me during times of fear and distress…and have even kept me from attempting suicide because I knew no one else would look after them if I was gone…

They’ve taught me animals are very important for me.

7 Likes

…and pets accepted them “as is”,
boy if that isn’t the truth.
Find a human same as this and you’ve struck gold.

I think I’m the richest person in the world, with 6 indoor cats and a husband good as gold.
Happy me. :smile:

5 Likes

I love my animals just as much as my son. I couldnt picture life without them. They help me when im struggling and keep me safe, they comfort me when i need it, and they definitely really know when i need comfort. I have 4 dogs, 2 cats, and an african spur tortoise. They give me purpose when i feel like i have none, friendship, entertainment, and love. There is no similar feeling then the unconditional love an animal can give you. I would be lost without them.

6 Likes

I would love a dog

I’d love to have a personal pet, I have two labs that are family

I’ve always wanted a dog (medium sized) but you have to be super responsible with taking care of them.

2 Likes

I have three cats and they help me so much. One of them has a ruptured cyst and I’m worried about it getting infected, because he keeps licking off the Neosporin. The vet gave him an antibiotic shot though.

He weighs 23 lbs.

1 Like

Dogs are a lot of responsibility.
I’m not ready for another pet in my life right now.
Maybe one day when I’m more settled and stable.

2 Likes

I couldn’t imagine life without my Tiggy baby. Since we got him as a kitten last February, my life has improved I think. We play every morning and he sometimes sleeps with me at night.

I got 4 cats. 3 are all black, one is fluffy, and the youngest is a tuxedo of white and black :slight_smile: all 4 get along, eat together side by side, and are rediculously cuddly!

1 Like

I have three dogs, one jack russell and two lab mixes. They are my babies. The labs sleep in bed with me. The girls won’t let my jack russell in bed. Its nice to have animals to just love you unconditionally and when I feel suicidal I think about leaving them with no one to love them like I do. They keep me going.

2 Likes

my pets dont see me as sz, atleast i hope :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I love my dogs. I agree with the posts above. The unconditional love they gives one of those feelings that’s hard to explain. It can be a bad day for me and they flip it just because they’re happy to see me. Life is easier with them in it. I see my dogs not so much as pets but as family.

1 Like

I love my dogs there family and a big part of my life they come with me everywhere and walk then twice a day, its nice to have non judging always loving dogs around me it does help me.

1 Like