Terrified of an mri

Hey there,
Heading for an mri today. I am absolutely terrified. Anyone else scared of medical procedures? I feel like a child sometimes but I always cry.

i’ve had one. they aren’t bad :slight_smile: you’ll do fine! :slight_smile:

I agree you’ll do fine but yeah I’m very scared medical procedures too

This is the whirly machine?

I have to get an mri for my spine, I have back problems due to a car accident 7 years ago.

Be very still or you’ll have to do it twice.

Honestly, I was scared of Medical procedures and going to the ER.

I went to the ER by myself 3 times in the last couple of times and did fine.

I even had a CAT Scan of my chest area and was not afraid.

Try not to be afraid @skullcandy117
I have a feeling that you will be fine.

1 Like

Hope it goes okay for you. They give sedation to some people if they need it. It is not uncommon to get anxious about medical procedures.

Thanks everyone. I’m super claustraphobic and get seizures from anything medical. So it’s pretty terrifying. I am going to ask for sedation.

Some MRI clinics give you head phones to listen to music. Others give you foam earplugs since the MRI is noisy.

Also, if your claustrophobic, you might consider keeping your eyes closed in the MRI machine since it is quite a narrow tube.

I’ve had dozens of MRIs because of a brain tumor. The best way to deal with it is to just close your eyes while you’re outside the machine, and just take a nap. Most places let you listen to music during the test. It gets loud, but it’s totally painless.

1 Like

I barely fit in the mri machine. But it was ok.

Lucky for me it was for my knee so no iv and my head didn’t need to be in it. Thank goodness. Thanks for the advice. I asked for music so they played the radio. It tickled but was painless. Only thing is they gound something in the leg that wasnt evem supposed to be the one they were going to mri. And the doctor has known for months and didn’t tell me. Not sure what is going to happen so the unknown is scaring me.

Well, the good news is, tons of people have benign tumors or cysts somewhere in their bodies, and they would never know if it wasn’t for an MRI. You could probably have lived your entire life not knowing there was something in your leg, with no ill consequences. They’ll probably just do a biopsy to make sure it’s not cancerous, then just let it be. Random tumors/cysts are totally normal and totally not dangerous.

Thank you. I sure hope you’re right. It doesn’t hurt and there is no visible lump. He told me it is on my tibia not sure if that’s how you spell it. But close to the knee. Thank goodness our healthcare is free here. I would have to pay an arm and a leg for an mri if not. No pun intended haha

1 Like

You must be very sensitive, the mri machine doesn’t touch you.

I am pretty sensitive when it comes to small spaces. I got lung x rays once and though the machine doesn’t touch you it is awfully traumatizing. I got my results back heading to the doctors shortly. Wish me luck everyone. Thanks so much for the advice and support.