Sz's without medication?

He didn’t, though. Schizotypal is on the schizophrenia spectrum just like Asperger’s is on the autism spectrum. But I’m not saying you don’t have sz, just that he wasn’t saying you were simulating it. There are degrees of severity with sz, and most people are almost completely unable to function without meds.

5 Likes

I think it may be those who have milder positive symptoms and not very prominent or negligible cognitive/negative symptoms who may do ok off medication.

4 Likes

An interesting point, and I am strengthening it, I have no negative symptoms at all, I am chronic over 12 years of positive, almost not 1 week without a bodyless figure friend or god’ and now a baby’ with me, voices and visual
I have spent three years of my life in hospitals since the diagnosis, but I think that doctors do not offer other, longer and more difficult ways to function without medication, Cognitive therapy, psychology, classes, sports, occupation, only on Saturday I rest, the rest of the week fills with coughs, so as not to deteriorate into depression,

2 Likes

Hey everyone, I hear a lot of people saying meds are an important step to recovery. I really am hoping that’s not going to be the case but regardless I am still very young. I mean 18 is hardly the beginning and in some cases it’s already daunting for me. I can only wonder what the next few years hold for me.

2 Likes

You should be aware that the longer you go with psychosis without taking medication, the worse your long-term prognosis will be. I suggest you talk to a doctor and follow their advice with regard to treatment.

https://mentalhealthpartnerships.com/resource/duration-of-untreated-psychosis-dup-measurement/

"Longer DUP [duration of untreated psychosis] is associated with:

Psychosocial decline
Prolonged morbidity
Increased treatment costs
Worse course and outcome
Increased duration of the acute episode"

5 Likes

I could understand that symptoms untreated would eventually become unmanageable, but I’m still curious as to what they mean by “treatment” I mean I of course do not live the same lifestyle that I did when I started having symptoms, I try to rationalize my delusions and take time to kind of guard my mind from negative things or things that I know tend to set me off. I’m just wondering if there would be any alternative that doesn’t include medications.

1 Like

Treatment = meds

2 Likes

Cbt is good too.

No, that is not what they mean by treatment.

“Duration of Untreated Psychosis (DUP) is commonly defined as the time interval between onset of definite positive psychotic symptoms and first appropriate treatment. This is usually defined as first anti-psychotic treatment

There are no alternatives to antipsychotic treatment if you have schizophrenia. Sorry. No amount of lifestyle changes or therapy can compare to antipsychotics. If you are serious about taking care of your own health and managing your illness, you need to follow your doctor’s prescribed treatment. Lifestyle changes and therapy are useful for things the medication doesn’t help you with, though, so you should combine these approaches.

4 Likes

Huh… seems like I’m ■■■■ outta luck then. Thank you. I’ll try to keep an open mind to it.

3 Likes

Why are you out of luck?

1 Like

I’m curious and anything that helps is good

1 Like

I stand by my statement that was deleted. Most people who are sick want to be well.

But it seems we have some on here who are well but want to be sick.

3 Likes

I’d be the first to say mind over matter. But sometimes mind over matter doesn’t quite work

1 Like

That wasn’t at all what you said. You said people who don’t take meds and aren’t in hospital don’t really have schizophrenia. Someone brought to our attention that your post was inappropriate, and I agreed, so I deleted it. I’m not sure why you would say you posted something completely different and then complain that the post was deleted. The mods can see deleted posts.

4 Likes

I wasn’t complaining and I didn’t say that I said something different.

I just reinforced it. But thank you for putting my opinion back out there. I don’t think it’s inappropriate at all.

That’s my opinion from my experience.

Well first of all, it’s completely wrong. It’s also inappropriate because it implies people who don’t fit those criteria are misdiagnosed or lying about their illness. Which, in hindsight, I see is what you meant by “it seems we have some on here who are well but want to be sick” - that they are lying. Please don’t accuse people of lying about being ill. That’s a really mean thing to say.

1 Like

I think it’s time to close this thread since it has caused quite a stir and the OP has received many good responses.

3 Likes