Sz's without medication?

Is there anyone who doesn’t use medication here? I don’t and I’m hoping I’m not completely alone on that. Or stories of unmedicated Sz’s?

2 Likes

I am pretty sure that I will be on an antipsychotic and antidepressant for the rest of my life.

you can find them on the streets of every major city

14 Likes

Are you young? Judging by your pic you look pretty young. I thought I was the elusive “sz without med” for a few months, till I ended up in ward Z and had Haldol and thorazine needles simultaneously injected up my anus while strapped to a chair in a straitjacket in the padded room.

LOL I’m just kidding

but early on you may think you don’t need meds but if youre truly sz you will eventually need meds

the condition worsens, but only if you don’t take your meds

5 Likes

Yea that is true man.

If you not taking meds out of choice chances are your symptoms are minor

4 Likes

Unmediated

2 Likes

I don’t do meds! Yay I’m not the only one! hello!

1 Like

That’s not true man there are people who are schiz that don’t do meds and are functional.

1 Like

Wow youre hilarious :unamused: seriously though not funny.

2 Likes

That wasn’t supposed to be funny. Not taking meds is usually a really stupid decision. A lot of people end up on the streets because of it.

6 Likes

Wish I didn’t need meds, but I can’t not take them, my symptoms are to severe. If i didn’t take them I probably would end up on the street

3 Likes

Some may do ok off meds. However what is the ratio of those consistently doing well off meds to those who do badly off meds? I am guessing far fewer do consistently well off meds.

5 Likes

Dead, in jail, homeless, or in some kind of institution if I didn’t do meds within a year or two of when I started them for good

3 Likes

I agree if your functional without meds your not really sz. Sz is a disabling disease, if you’re not disabled you probably don’t have it. Any thoughts on this?

I mean no one is just slightly psychotic. And if your not psychotic then you don’t have it. Same thing for bp, slight mania is not mania, that’s hypomania

2 Likes

I think we need to keep in mind that temporary remission and complete recovery is also possible.

4 Likes

I can understand total recovery. But How is temporary recovery determined? Does that mean you stop meds and are ok for a few years?

Yup! And then there are different degrees of partial recovery. I’m in partial but almost complete remission now. It would, of course, not have been possible without meds.

3 Likes

That’s great! Are you still on meds?

Yeah. My symptoms aren’t completely gone, so if I reduce my meds, they will come back. They actually did come back the last time I tried to reduce. And I recently had to increase my dose because of symptoms. But the meds enable me to function pretty close to normal. I need meds to keep my positive symptoms and mood swings under control, and then I use other techniques to deal with negative symptoms and cognitive symptoms.

3 Likes

A sz patient without his meds is like a pirate without his peg leg.

3 Likes