Sarcosine Reduces Symptoms in Schizophrenia

Okay, I’ve decided to jump on the sarcosine wagon. Negative symptoms are causing problems. I’ll post with my testimonial after I’ve tried it. Cheers!

2 Likes

Did anyone experience less tiredness and more clarity, heightened senses and this kind of thing, or was it purely a subjective feeling of better mood?

I’ve turned into a believer in Sarcosine after a couple of months on it. I’m about 30% better at remembering to shower and such on my own when taking it daily. Seem to mentally stack tasks better. Didn’t think I was more positive while on it, but now that I’m off (my order is a week late - my fault), I’m noticing the lethargy and negative emotion.

I don’t think I’ll ever be back to 100% organized. Suspect Sz involves some sort of minor brain damage. There are parts of me that are gone for good. Just trying to be thankful that I’ve not been hit as hard as others. “There but for the Grace of God…” (sigh).

Anyhow, as someone who has tried all kinds of the other supplements out there, I can tell you that none have worked as well or as fast as this one for the Sz, and without any sort of horrible crippling side-effects that are so common with the head meds. The price is even reasonable.

Pixel.

3 Likes

is there any known issue of taking profrontal with both an antipsychotic and an antidepressant?

I don’t think there is much in the ways of studies on use of Sarcosine with an antidepressant. There are studies showing that it has an antidepressant effect, which would suggest that you wouldn’t need as much of the anti-depressant. I recommend you discuss it with your doctor and point him to the research studies on sarcosine and schizophrenia:

and another study:

1 Like

I am going to try this. I didn’t like how sick my meds were making me so I quit them, but the negative stuff is getting pretty bad. i hope this helps.

1 Like

Today I just took my first 1g of Sarcosine from brainvitaminz.com and think it worked well on controlling my negative symptoms. Usually I would gladly stay in my own room but today I was surprised when I voluntarily chose to take my parents out to swimming at night and hang out the entire time with them without getting bored. :slight_smile: I think I saw some improvements in alertness, attention to detail, more appreciation for how nice the night was (instead of just not caring), and maybe some ability to converse. Not sure if cognitive abilities such as attention span, response to environmental stimuli might be affected. Also not sure if I was just having a decent night due to mood swings. Might try adjusting my dosage but at the moment I don’t think I need more than 1g (I’m kind of short).

3 Likes

Hello, Tukey. Honestly, i don’t think 1mg taken once would have such a strong effect. I don’t know, though.
I started taking sarcosine this week and i’m on my third day. I’ve been taking two 1mg doses every day and i honestly haven’t felt much yet. I’ll definitely stick to it, though. I know the effects are moderate, but i believe that i’ll definitely notice any improvements. I’ll report any effects. Please keep us informed on how you`re doing with sarcosine. Good luck.

Hi, I’ve read, that Sarcosine has a half life of only 1.5 hours. That’s very short. How come it works?

I haven’t read that anywhere - can you share with us the source of that information? (for example a link to that information).

As to “why it works” - I recommend you read the research on this page:

Pharmacokinetics
For all doses, sarcosine exhibited linear kinetics, with a
Tmax and t½ of ~1½- 2½hr and ~1hr, respectively

Safety, Tolerability and Pharmacokinetics of
Open Label Sarcosine Added on to Anti-Psychotic
Treatment in Schizophrenia – Preliminary Study

2 Likes

THanks for pointing us to that paper - very interesting!

I found this hopeful:

“most clinical studies as well as one meta-analysis, have shown significant effects of these compounds,
particularly on negative symptoms.”

I think the short half-life is why some groups recommend a dose in the morning and afternoon.

1 Like
1 Like

I am not a scientist, what does that mean in day to day words :stuck_out_tongue:

This seems like big news to me. If you use Sarcosine for 6 months it seems to reverse the damage to the glutamate system of the brain that is key in memory and cognition.

Here is what it says in regular english:

This is the first study showing that the addition to antipsychotic treatment with sarcosine for 6 months, may reverse the harmful increase in glutamate in the hippocampus that results in memory and cognition problems in schizophrenia

Background: The Glutamate system, the main stimulating system of the brain, plays an important role in the development of schizophrenia. Additionally, the Hippocampus, a structure crucial for memory and cognitive functions and rich in glutamate-oriented neurons. Sarcosine use for 6 months seems to reverse the damage done to the glutamate system during schizophrenia.

more information on the Glutamate hypothesis of schizophrenia:

1 Like

There is a new poll for Sarcosine users by one of our members @everhopeful - to better get a better idea of people’s experiences with sarcosine.

Please join in the poll and add your own experiences so we can all get a better idea of how / if this stuff is working for you.

I am in the UK and believe the current exchange rate makes it very good value. Plus, as mentioned it is always better to purchase vitamins from a safe, reliable source…

I just ordered some more profrontal. It’s getting expensive so I may buy the ingredients separately from Amazon from now on.

Just received my sarcosine from brainVitaminz, I will let u guys know how it goes

1 Like

My daughter is taking Methylaid ,NAC (1200 a day) and Picamilon (200mg). Would it be safe to add the Sarcosine? She has all the negative symptoms still. Risperidone seems to help with the positive symptoms