Success stories

I wanted to hear everybody’s success on dealing with their illness. I have found the right medicine and I have been having a wonderful time getting back to a normal life.

10 Likes

That’s excellent to hear…

I feel like I’m succeeding at life with this illness.

I’m not taking meds currently… sometimes I even induce a relapse to see how bad it is in comparison to the past… and it’s getting better.

Past confusions really are distant and the vocies are quiet… but I don’t have to many stressors in my life.

Also biked well over 15 miles in the last couple weeks. Currently staying in and recovering from the soreness. It got colder this week.

I’ll really succeed when I quit smoking again. It’s part time alcohol and caffeine addiction… once I start things start to spiral for that night/day depending. Alcohol brings the psychosis back in the morning.

Managed to sleep a solid 10 hours last night… it was natural too. No sleep aids. Crucial in relieving stress though had some wonky dreams that interrupted me.

Fear… hah… fear to core… gotta cut it out on all levels.

Take care.

4 Likes

I am in school and relatively stable (although I’m just now recovering from a severe relapse), and yeah. That’s as successful as I’ve gotten.

3 Likes

I have worked for most of the last 35 years even though I have had paranoid schizophrenia for the past 38 years. I have attended community college and I only need four more classes for my degree. I am 54 years old by the way and I was diagnosed when I was 19. I have driven my own car since 1986 (several different ones actually)'I lived independently since 1995 until three months ago. Now I am still living independently but I get served my meals by my residence which is a boarding house. I had a bad crack addiction in the late eighties but I got clean in 1990. I have done too many things to list everything here but I have flown across the country several times in my disease (and boy are my arms tired. Rim shot) I have done numerous activities in my disease and I plan on doing many more.

4 Likes

I resed a son in a domnet womens world, and not very men do it alone. but me…!

2 Likes

Wow, did you really? That’s impressive.

I managed to get into a stable, healthy relationship, and I’m getting married this year. I used to think that would never be possible for someone like me. I was also just asked to be a peer counselor by my doctor, so that has to show some level of stability, right?

3 Likes

I toke two class in parent class’s just to make share I was do ok, you need to ask.

2 Likes

15 years of treatment management is a success. Ups downs. Still always be unless you have a recovery plan. I felt much success learning to hunt, archery, 22’s, 9mm, 40cal and .45 auto enthusiast. Sz with a gun I found was just stigma. I fish, make beats my life is gravy there’s no health without mental health. From politics understanding the constitution to getting a voters card. I wish to participate more in the community.

1 Like

After psychotic episodes I: earned an Associates degree, earned a Bachelor’s degree, earned a Master’s degree (diagnosed around age 22-23-24, graduated with my MA at age 32)
Held a teaching position for adults for one semester (did not reapply but was not fired, either).
Passed as normal for past 10 years
No hospitalizations since 2008 (before that it was like once-twice a year in my 20’s)
Managed to hold social life for extended periods of time
Applied to PhD programs with letters of support stating my commitment to my studies and abilities to succeed.
I don’t laugh out loud in public anymore (never underestimate that last one, it took a while)

i functioned as a Music Tech Teaching Aide at College for a bit :). Currently im working on my own art and am content :smile:

1 Like

I’ve been stable on Geodon and Seroquel for over a decade. I’ve won awards for my writing at a local library contest, and I am finally starting to push myself to try to get to the next level in my discourse.

2 Likes

I’m going back to school and I am stable, finishig my drivers license. Overcame my self sabotage issues, I’ve been sober for a year and four months, have good friends and good support system. I’m well.

1 Like

I am about to graduate for my masters in philosophy with perfect GPA. When I started the programme, half a year after my first psychosis ended, I was nervous and doubted whether I would survive at all. Two and a half years and a relapse later, I feel I made a lot of progress. Writing my thesis on schizophrenia has been a form of self-therapy for me. Hurtful at times, rewarding and satisfying in the end.

5 Likes

For me… it’s been the right med combo… therapy… Family support

because of that… I’ve been able to get a job I like and start to get my feet back on the ground.

I am more stable than I have ever been right now. As far as success is concerned I feel I am in the darkest part of the night right before the dawn. The work I have been doing on myself is bearing fruit in a slow and constant fashion and I believe the foundation I am creating in all areas of my life will provide me longterm benefits.

hi. am also trying to write my m.sc thesis on child and adolescent mental health. i want to crave a niche for myself in this field. i hope it works

my first episode was in march 2014. admitted into a psychiatric ward of a teaching hospital for 2 weeks. am now on Risperidone, 1mg on alternate nights. i finished with a First class honours in a Nigerian university in 2012. it was terrible at first, sleepless nights, depression, shaky hands, slurred words, laziness, lack of will or motivation to do things but my parents especially my mum stood by me. i gradually overcame the side effects. i applied for a Masters of science in my alma mata in december, 2014, wrote the entrance exam in march 2015. i scored the highest, 87%. last semester, i almost had a relapse. i lost interest in everything when my, couldnt read for an exam for almost a week but i had a 72&, i overcame that two days to my exam. am currently leading my class. i handle most of the group discussions, last semesteri had 72%, 75%, 70% and 61% in the 4 courses i offered. i am healthy to everyone. some of my senior colleagues want to go out with me.
but the key to this is because i now understand myself. i now realise that i cant overstress myself. i start reading my materials on time. i listen to music and see interesting movies. i dont sleep well on the second night of my alternate day bt my system is adjusting.
am looking forward to living alone soon as soon as am financially buoyant. i have lost lots of weight. am an attractive young lady with an height of 6.2 with a good shape. everyone will find it hard to believe when i reveal my identity.
i pray i will stay healthy. just be faithful in taking your drugs, do not overstress yourself, have leisure times, be committed to a cause (i am a committed christian, i interprete into my indigenous language and teach sunday school) do what you love doing most times, forgive people and learn to love who you are.
shalom.