SSRI's and sz

I posted something related to this topic recently but couldn’t find it. Sorry to ask this question again,
But if you have sz or sza do SSRIs bring out psychosis if you are in remission? Or do they just plain cause psychosis to get worse?
Thanks for all who reply

Depends on the person… For some it’s dangerous, for others it’s not.

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering the same thing. My last episode in April happened when I was on Celexa. Then I looked up if psychosis was a side effect and it can be. I asked me pdoc about it and he said it would only cause psychosis in such a small percentage of people. I am looking currently for a second opinion.

I have sza and in remission 6 years, im also taking SSRI’s 16 years a long with a AP

1 Like

For how long was it active before it went into remission? Just wondering.

10 years on and off of syptoms, from 2000 to 2010 , 10 years of burdens, the past 6 years I feel cured

It depends on the person and the med. I take amitriptyline, which is an SSRI, but I take it at a sub-therapeutic dose to treat migraines. It has never caused any problems for me. Some other posters here take SSRIs with no problems, and some people have had problems with them.

1 Like

I take an ssri in a pretty high dose. It has helped my negative symptoms.

1 Like

hey, thanks. I had a similar experience with prozac. Current doctor told me that I could take it only with a mood stabilizer, so now on lamotragine too. Not sure if my diagnosis is schizoaffective disorder or Bipolar 1. I guess time will tell.

I take venlafaxine, but that’s a snri not an ssri

1 Like

I take 60mg of Prozac. It helps a lot.

1 Like