Son won't admit he has Schizophrenia but I need to get him on Disability

Hi! I’m new here and my son likely has schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. He has an undiagnosed psychosis (per the doc) and from reading up on this I agree with the doctor. My son will not admit there is anything wrong with him - which is normal for the disorder. He is 27, lives at home and whenever we (myself, or live in boyfriend), come in the room he runs out of the room. He stays in his room most of the time when we are home and when we go to bed he gets up, stays up most of the night and sleeps most of the day. I believe this is so, it’s hard to track. I know it takes quite a bit to get on disability (2 years not working, trying to take medication, seeing a psychiatrist. None of what he is willing to do. Do any of you have any advice on how to start getting him interested in going on disability? We had him at an organization called Windhorse who help people with MI try to get work. They got him a job at the beginning of the summer. He went with a group to a hotel for a few hours, twice a week. They believed he was hallucinating and said that to stay with the job he would need to try a low dose of meds. And they (Windhorse) are pro no meds. In his case, they thought it would help. He refused, hence he lost he job and since only does chores around the house and occasionally leaves the house. Any advice here? We’re kind of at the beginning for things - although I think this has been gradually coming on for years. He does say that he’d like to live on his own, which I don’t know if that is the best option, but that may be a start to getting him on disability. I’ve tried a few approaches with this but nothing has worked. Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry for your troubles. Are you aware that there is a family/caregiver support forum here? All the best!

1 Like

What country do you live in? I’m in the US and was granted disability after only 3 months of not working with lots of doctors appointments before that and for physical and mental disabilities, but my point is not 2 years.

1 Like

@DianeR

You’ll probably get better and more meaningful answers if you join the family forum

6 Likes

Well she’s still asking for advice from us so who cares and let’s answer her.

I’m responding purely from the prospective of my own, where I recently was accepted for dissability- which my parents forced me to apply for because I’m 26 and don’t work. I dropped out of college and lived in my own place since I was 18 years old. I just lived off my allowance and some money my grandfather left me. Then I started going into episodes of psychosis that landed me in the hospital. On my 4th and last time in the hospital- mind u all this happened about 1 1/2 years ago- they mentioned I apply for dissability. When I went to live with my parents after the 3 hospitalizations, they helped me apply and I was ultimately accepted. I feel bad bc it took catalysts to make me go into boughts of psychosis, like adderall. Otherwise, probably like your son, I don’t present overtly psychotic or delusional. Your son probably can’t live on his own just yet, and he has to admit he needs you and that the job prospects aren’t working out for the time being. Once you have him apply for dissability it will help in the months to come, it will help him feel better too, believe me. It has to be well documented with his doctors, though, and while I don’t have a diagnosis of sz yet, just psychosis nos, I still was accepted. And you don’t need 2 years of no work either. If you can help him realize that not thinking you’re sick is part of the mental illness he has, it will help- because for awhile I didn’t believe I was sick, I was so detached it’s just a way for the mind to survive when so many changes are going on. The key is that he knows he’s sick and needs to try a low dose of medication. I hate the meds I’m on but I know I need them now. Get him to realize his issues and have him bringing in some income with dissability will help. I never thought I’d be doing what I do today with my parents. I was so independent and didn’t present Ill for awhile and now I’ve just adjusted with some hard looking in the mirror. Sorry I’m rambling and I got to go but good luck!

1 Like

I didn’t want to apply for disability, but I knew my family desparately needed the money so that got me to apply.

1 Like

If he takes his meds, everything else will follow. He’ll go back to normal behavior and probably try to the best of his ability to do the right thing like go to the doctor monthly and look for work. Then would be the time to apply for his disability. Now that he’s not admitting he is sick, nothing will get very far. His negative symptoms might get worse to the point where he no longer can work or function. Time is key to limiting the severity of the damage this disease can do. I go to support group and see all kinds. Young people who get out early often make it to living independently with close to normal lives.

1 Like

I didn’t think I was sick for about 6 years but I mostly took my meds. I was in the military and felt I had to take them. But once I stopped them cold turkey and landed in a hospital about five days later. That’s when I started to figure out I was really sick. Sometimes that’s what it takes.

Good luck.

1 Like

I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:
http://family.schizophrenia.com

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Ninjastar
Volunteer Moderator

1 Like