Social defeat predicts paranoid appraisals in people at high risk for psychosis

Abstract
Background

The experience of social defeat may increase the risk of developing psychotic symptoms and psychotic disorders. We studied the relationship between social defeat and paranoid appraisal in people at high risk for psychosis in an experimental social environment created using Virtual Reality (VR).
Method

We recruited UHR (N = 64) participants and healthy volunteers (N = 43). Regression analysis was used to investigate which baseline measures predicted paranoid appraisals during the VR experience.
Results

At baseline, UHR subjects reported significantly higher levels of social defeat than controls (OR = .957, (CI) .941–.973, p < .000). Following exposure to the VR social environment, the UHR group reported significantly more paranoid appraisals than the controls (p < .000). Within the UHR sample, paranoid appraisals were predicted by the level of social defeat at baseline, as well as by the severity of positive psychotic and disorganised symptoms.
Conclusion

In people who are at high risk of psychosis, a history of social defeat is associated with an increased likelihood of making paranoid appraisals of social interactions. This is consistent with the notion that social defeat increases the risk of developing psychosis.

http://www.schres-journal.com/article/S0920-9964(15)00416-8/abstract

1 Like

Very interesting. Perhaps the aerly twenties where many get psychotic, is also a time where you make it or break it socially. Theres no support anymore and it becomes obvious whos a social succes and whos not. I will consider this for myself.

What is social defeat?

The question for me is does social defeat lead to psychosis or is social defeat due to negative peer reactions to already present psychotic traits/unusual behaviour.?

1 Like

i never considered myself to be socially defeated or being abnormal but still developed this schizophrenia from out of nowhere.

Yeah there’s a user here that can’t maintain any social decorum , from the privacy and comfort of s computer screen. Continually getting banned. You’d wonder how he manages in the real world , so poor are his skills.

I never heard of social defeat before.

are you talking about daimon? funny name i think i refuted him but he still thinks im a pagan

Yeah , it seems his bans , are only fueling him now. I think he sees himself as a revolutionary.

whatever he isnt taking his opponents as they are but interprets them according to his imagionation. like he interpreted a completly different message of what i really said and thought it is legit to respond to

Wouldn’t worry bout it , he has said some terrible sh1t to me too

Yes. It might be wishfull thinking from my part, BUT I fit the social defeat very well, as well as the trauma model in childhood. Thats why I find these non-bilogical theories interesting, plus I didnt have any symptoms until I was 26, positive that is.