Social cognition of patients with schizophrenia across the phases of illness - A longitudinal study

CONCLUSION: Present study suggests that impairment in social cognition in patients with schizophrenia is present both in symptomatic and remission phase, with higher level of deficits during the symptomatic phase. Social cognition impairments are associated with poor social and occupational functioning and higher level of disability

2 Likes

I do appreciate these articles, and no disrespect to the poster, but I have to file this one under “no ■■■■, sherlock” lol.

2 Likes

You are making the mistake of assuming people are all as knowledgeable as you are. This may be news to those less knowledgeable.

3 Likes

Sorry, I was attempting to be humorous. However I suspect this finding would be true of all persistent mental illness.

1 Like

Can someone please explain to me what these social deficits look like in conversation? It’s a lot of technical talk that I don’t understand. I have trouble socially with eye contact and showing emotion sometimes. Is this what they are talking about?

1 Like

I am not very good at noticing that. Not sure if it’s a mental health thing or an ASD/NVLD thing.

Firemonkey is very sensetive about his posts. It’s a tough job bearing news about these disorders. Hardly any off it is good.

1 Like

I am not sure about anyone else but my difficulties are with small talk and initiating conversations. Knowing when a conversation has run its course is also an issue. Also sometimes giving a prompt response to what someone says. I am not always a quick thinker.

3 Likes

Ah yes I suppose that’s a problem for me too. Some if it is trauma and some of it is lack of experience I want to say. I sometimes find myself starting new topics or asking a question at the wrong time but I’m also taking lamictal which really scrambles my cognition.0

1 Like

I very much apologize if there was any offence. I really appreciate firemonkey’s posts, they have good info.

No offense taken. I used to critique the news articles on here and it was (strongly suggested) that I not do that anymore. It’s hard not to when most of them tell us things that we already know/knew.

1 Like

As you arrogantly claim to know almost everything about psychosis/schizophrenia, when even the professionals don’t, I guess I should stop posting news articles. Sometimes I wonder why I ■■■■■■■ bother.
You didn’t “critique” the news articles by any intelligent definition of the word just made constant negative comments about them .

Instead of your constant arrogance and negativity try doing something constructive like adding articles you think are more helpful, or helping in other ways.

2 Likes

Keep posting @firemonkey - I love your stuff!

Thanks. As said I’m not very good when it comes to spotting someone might be being humorous.
I have been doing what I do on these forums for over 15 years. It’s my little way of trying to help. I get a little dispirited with the negativity at times though.

2 Likes

I think that in light of my recent good behavior, your hostility is unwarranted sir. I have nothing but the best intentions when it comes to the news on schizophrenia. While I may not be an "expert"
I live with a condition that resembles it, so I take every article personally. I feel that I have the right to comment on the articles as someone who has grappled with the illness for 15 years I have been anxiously awaiting good news like everyone else.
It was the news articles that brought me to this site, so I guess I owe you a big “thanks in advance” for doing what you do.

1 Like

It’s one thing to be interested from a personal perspective,it’s quite another to be constantly negative about articles that are posted.

As for having a condition that resembles it; I have paranoid personality disorder which is generally regarded as having links to schizophrenia and is often described as a schizophrenia spectrum personality disorder.

I am on an antipsychotic like most people here and have been described as having psychotic symptoms such as delusions.

You are not the only one with a personal interest.

2 Likes

@firemonkey Keep up the good work! You are one of the lights in this world.

Social Cognition and Schizophrenia - Syd Barrett discussion.Part 2.

1 Like

Mind Reading cd - Simon Baron Cohen.

http://www.jkp.com/uk/mind-reading.html