So I've been on 5mg of Abilify for the past five days and I feel fine

No psychosis to report. I thought it was supposed to be a subtherapeutic dose?

1 Like

It has a long half life. Which means it can take about a month to be out of your system.

So the fun will start between 2 weeks to a month from now.

You’ll probably even feel better between now and then. But after that it’s probably downhill all the way.

In slow motion.

1 Like

But I’m not crazy. I am a sensible girl. I have insight now into my condition.

1 Like

What are you going to do if(when) you become symptomatic again? Have you got a plan? If not try to get one in place.

If you’ve been discharged from your psychiatrist you may need a referral to them again from your gp. Or a quick voluntary trip to hospital.

My strong instinct is that I will be fine but probably I will get a referral from my GP. He wants to see me anyway in a month or so. I will wait until then. I told him about my social anxiety and low mood I can struggle with. I’m not sure if he is losing patience with me though really. I’m not a super productive member of society.

1 Like

He obviously wants the best for you if he wants to see you again in a month.

Yeah but he made a comment about my being at home all the time when before I had been volunteering a little. I might be projecting really.

1 Like

I don’t know the comment or context but I know that’s something you’re a bit sensitive about. I wouldn’t pay it much attention.

According to this website, 5mg is indicated for treatment of schizophrenia and not strictly a mood disorder as an adjunctive treatment.

http://www.scottishmedicines.org.uk/Press_Statements/Aripiprazole__Abilify__174___for_treatment_of_schizophrenia

I’m on 10 mg abilify, but my pdoc seems to think that my issues could come and go and while I’m not symptomatic, I could lower my meds or have no meds. Is this always a bad idea? For some reason or other he keeps postponing lowering the meds.

They’re wrong. Google the prescribing information for abilify from the manufacturer. Actually let me see if I can do it for you.

Abilify-PI.pdf (390.5 KB)

There’s the prescribing information from the manufacturer themselves.

Also look at this research. I’m sorry but coming across misinformation on this is common.

1 Like

I was on Abilify for a while. I actually got an increase in physical strength from that drug. They took me off it, though, because it made me a little too antsy.

Do you have family or friends who would be able to help you if you start losing insight into your condition? This would be especially important if you’re not currently under the care of a pdoc or therapist.

Doesn’t “adjunctive” mean “in addition to” though?

I take 20 mg of abilify a day

Yes I do. But I don’t see it happening.

It does. 5mg is not strictly an adjunctive treatment alongside an antidepressant.

Sorry but anybody who thinks otherwise is living in fantasy land.

Well all I can say is I will see how it goes. I won’t assume I’m going to crash or relapse.

2 Likes