Second day of sobriety

Did quitting alcohol completely help you improve much in psychological health?

1 Like

Good job, you’ll feel a lot better as time passes.

Keep going, you are doing fine @Daimon

One day at a time.
I wish you be best Daimon after hearing of your close calls. Our son made many friends at AA.

He and his life changed for the better after police trouble. He was able to finish HVAC school and how has his own appartment.

I used to go to AA meetings and Hang around the Serenity center over our way. It made me feel serene.

1 Like

My life used to revolve around getting and using drugs and drinking. I spent a large chunks of time drinking and drugging and not much else in the late 1980’s My life went to hell. I also spent a LOT of money on my drugs. Drugs was one of the main reasons I had a relapse and had to be hospitalized several times in rapid succession in the late 1980’s. In 1990 I quit all drugs AND drinking. Near the end of my partying my dad had to put me in a group home because he didn’t know what else to do with me. But while I was there I got clean. When I quit, several things happened. First off, it broke the cycle of being hospitalized and I have not been hospitalized since. I got a part-time job and I have been working steadily since. I also felt motivated to go to college and I went for the next five years. These were just some of the good things that happened to me when I quit drinking and doing drugs.

4 Likes

When I quit drinking, I was able to get a steady job, start eating healthy without struggling at it, and I met my boyfriend who I now live with. Getting on the right meds also helped, since I quit at the same time as I started taking them. So I don’t know for sure which helped more, but quitting drinking definitely freed up my money for fun activities, like laser tag.

good luck with your sobriety

Good luck. My husband has been sober for a little over 3 years now.

I do not know about alcohol, but I am struggling with my nicotine addiction. I think that any mind altering substance may be bad for a mind of a sz person.

1 Like

I don’t know how out of control you got when you were drunk. If you got crazy on alcohol, then one of the first benefits is you don’t get arrested. Also, you repair damaged relationships with friends and family members. Also, you save one heck of a lot of money. In AA they say there is always that “yet” - I haven’t done those things, yet. Personally, I’ve declared a moratorium on my own drinking. I’m trying to lose weight, (doctor’s orders)and I’m afraid I will over eat and not exercise when I drink. I used to be a real out of control drinker, but the med’s reduced the amount I can drink by well over a half. I can’t get drunk enough to get out of control now. I’m sure the alcohol and med’s are not good for my liver, though. Also, I’m close to getting type II diabetes. I’m quitting for my health.

Great job! Your new sober life starts with one day at a time. It will be hard but I believe you can make it.

I have not regret one day since I stopped drinking. It’s tough in the beginning but then it just riding along on the right track.

This is my third day clean and I am feeling much better. I have also started brain training. Check out this site with free brain training exercises. The ones for fluid intelligence are good. https://brainturk.com/

1 Like

my sobriety has been crushed

You made it about a week let alcohol remind you why you quit drinking. Get stupid get hungover… It’s not worth it man.

ive probably quit 100 times. its not an easy task when your young

its a true fact that drinking alcohol destroys lots of braincells but i think it is your liver and kidneys you need to worry about the most,

my dad died last July from liver disease and all the rest of it and his best friend nearly died last month and i am worried about him, i tried to phone him but no answer so idk if he is dead :frowning:

Yeah, I used to see teenagers in AA and I always used to think how tough it would be to be young and trying to quit while all your peers were out partying and carefree. I was 29 when I got clean. A perfect age to quit. It’s hard to take AA seriously when you’re 18 or 19 years old.
But VERY possible.

1 Like

This is my second day of sobriety again. I have no choice but to quit now because the next day I get a horrible reaction if I drink.

You’ll get there man… Got into some liquor last night. Which is rare for me and I definitely feel like ■■■■ today.