Scientists discover and target brain area in patients with schizophrenia who hear voices

5 Likes

Wow, that’s pretty good:

“After 2 weeks, the patients were re-evaluated. The researchers found that 34.6% of the patients being treated by TMS showed a significant response, whereas only 9.1% of patients in the sham group responded (‘significant response’ was defined as a more than 30% decrease in the Total Auditory Hallucinations Rating Scale score).”

2 Likes

Great news! I would like to try this. I hear voices.

Grrr. I can’t have an MRI because of my pacemaker. I suppose it rules me out for this treatment as well.

That is great news. Finally something that is not a pill with severe side effects. But my mind just screamed when I thought I’d like to try that out. My voices say my brain will be mushed into porridge trying that.

1 Like

I wanted to try this, but in the US it is considered experimental for sz. You can still get it some places, (as part of a study) but I didn’t qualify. However I did find out about side effects, and you usually get a weird tapping sensation they describe as fingers tapping on your head during the treatment, sometimes a feeling of warmth on your scalp, and headaches which typically go away with a headache medicine, but in any case are short term. There is a very, very small risk of seizure, but remember there’s a very small risk of seizures from going to the fun house and seeing the strobe light. Also some people report temporary agitation and transient insomnia.

No one has ever reported having their brain turned to porridge :slight_smile:

3 Likes