Schizophrenia, early life stress, and a cancer drug

In further studies, Fischer and coworkers applied a pharmacological approach. Mice that had been subjected to stress in early life and displayed schizophrenia-like symptoms were treated with “Entinostat”. This drug is currently being tested in clinical studies for use in cancer therapy. It is an inhibitor that blocks the activity of HDAC1. As it turned out, the treatment largely normalized gene expression and alleviated disease symptoms.

6 Likes

Interesting news, twinkle twinkle. Incidentally this is what happened to me. I was born early and separated from my mom for my first 4 days of life. Epigenetic treatment, gene regulation is the way forward. Have a blessed day.

1 Like

I hope something will come of it. It surely seems like an answer must be there, yet discoveries in neuroscience get applied to actual medical practice in between 20 years and never.

However, I’ve also read that over the past 25 years, schizophrenia research has increased 4 fold (as measured by published research papers.)

2 Likes

This is excellent news. I often read about familial sz, but there is none in my family so the trauma and abuse I suffered as a kid is the most likely source of my illness and this suggests it is treatable with this drug. I wonder what the side effects of a cancer drug could be though. (I have already lost my hair, so no worries there(Yes, I know that is the chemo) :smiley:

1 Like

Imagine if one day they come out with the “limitless” drug. We’ll be the first to have access to it.