Sarcosine Reduces Symptoms in Schizophrenia

No, I’m sorry, you haven’t understood. Nmda hypofunction leads to d2 and 5ht2a hypersensitivity/supersensitivity which leads to hallucinations and delusions and thought disorder. Serious hypofunction of the nmda receptor leads to a release of endorphins (ketamine high?) which can cause several of the negative symptoms. Sarcosine indirectly activates the glycine site of the nmda receptor and alleviates hypersensitivity of dopamine, serotonin and such, receptors. So it’s positive symptoms first before negative ones that sarcosine can treat.

It’s also interesting to note that drug users who want to prevent sensitization to many kinds of drugs, primarily stimulants, use nmda antagonists. So whether you have hypersensitivity of dopamine or whatever, increasing nmda function could potentially still work.

What I’ve noticed from sarcosine which is definitely not a placebo because I noticed it the first time too, is that I am more aware of myself, more aware of what I am doing and thinking. And, I have a broader range of emotions (I feel actual shame and loneliness which I never do) but it only lasts for a short while, sometimes a few minutes and sometimes a couple of hours. I will keep taking sarcosine obviously.

Right now I feel potentially an increase in 5ht2a (and maybe d2) functioning. 5ht2a I can easily feel when overactive (yes, I know about the wast complexity of this receptor) because it manifests itself with fatigue, obsessive thinking and affective blunting/robotic appearance, voice changes, etc.
It’s really bizarre. Sometimes I feel like the things that help me can randomly also worsen my condition. It’s really difficult to figure out what supplements cause issues with those serotonin receptors and what supplements don’t.

No - its only seems to be helpful for negative symptoms. And the d-aspartic acid combination is a bad one the scientists and clinicians tell me.

2 Likes

Why is it a bad combination?

Scientists have told me that Aspartic Acid can act as a neurotoxin if taken in larger doses (not sure of the exact dose sizes) amounts and therefore should be avoided.

Oddly all the schizophrenics who’ve taken sarcosine for years tell me that it’s the opposite, that it works great for positives but not as great for negatives.

The disease model for schizophrenia involving the nmda receptor revolves around the notion that reduced function of this receptor causes issues with dopamine, serotonin, endorphins and so on, which causes both positive, negative and cognitive issues. But also the reverse can be true, that dopamine, serotonin, acetylcholine (dysfunction), can negatively impact glutamate.

Of course I am willing to accept that I am wrong.

I’ve read that but am personally not convinced. A lot of guys have taken it for years on end for testosterone boosting and have not reported issues at all. However, n-methyl-d-aspartic acid, which you can buy as a supplement, is highly neurotoxic, just like l-dopa and so on with endogenous ligands.

Has there been any research into whether Sarcosine works for Schizoaffective Disorder?

Can you site some study’s on that?

I guess I could but I’ve learned to not bother. Everytime I get asked to cite something there’s no reward, it’s basically spending many hours for no purpose at all. I guess you’ll just have to trust that I know my thing? :innocent:

@NoEmotions, most of what you are claiming is wildly inaccurate. Please refrain from making further unsubstantiated medical claims on this site. Violation of this rule will result in deleted posts and a suspension.

4 Likes

Wow, you’re wildly overreacting to misunderstood posts and intentions. That’s fine, as you know that’s a part of our schizotypal disease - difficulty relating to and understanding others.
Now I am always willing to learn from my mistakes and correct myself simply if I am made aware of them. As for the topic of glutamate, I have spend years on other forums reading about the subject and participating in discussions to find a way to alleviate my symptoms. What I say is what I’ve learned from others.

For your sake I will spend hours trying to find studies to back up what I’ve learned. Hopefully this way we calm down the situation
https://www.scopus.com/record/display.uri?eid=2-s2.0-0033635444&origin=inward&txGid=1D314CFA5531B59D1719F5D14F52DFA4.wsnAw8kcdt7IPYLO0V48gA%3A2

"glutamate deficiency could contribute to the pathogenesis of schizophrenia, not only through dopaminergic, but also through serotonergic, hyperactivity."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12213297 (an example, not very relevant)

The exact sources for the nmda dysfunction induced dopamine d2 hyperactivity is evidently very difficult to find.
The idea was that nmda hypofunction leads to calcium channel dysfunction which leads to dopamine supersensitivity. I’ve spent hours on the old forum I used, trying to find the source but to no avail. And as usual Google and pubmed only turns up irrelevant junk. So I’ll leave it there, forget about it.

1 Like

Glutamate deficiency is widely known. That’s not what I was referring to. Since coming here, you have given lots of inaccurate information relating to medication, which could lead others to make unhealthy decisions. Do it again and you will be suspended. This is your final warning.

You have really misunderstood my posts, I think you should read them again. I’ve continuously written in my comments that people should still take their stuff.
I’ve said, and this may be what you’re referring to, that the medications on the market (seroquel, an example) are horrible which is true if you’ve read their pharmacology and side-effects. Drugs that block the nmda receptor and have anticholinergic properties should not be sold for treatment of psychosis, it’s just common sense when you understand the disease models. But it’s obviously better to be medicated with an antipsychotic than not. It’s obviously a matter of choosing the right drug with the best pharmacology.
Would you threaten to ban a user who posts that abilify is a terrible drug that nobody should take? If I am misunderstanding what you are referring to then show me my posts.

1 Like

Enjoy your break. When you come back, stop making false claims using big words that don’t make any sense in context. Reading forums does not make you smarter than doctors.

3 Likes

No - just schizophrenia and depression and OCD that I’m aware of. You can search on Pubmed here:

1 Like

I was just looking up essential amino acids (not produced by the body) and non essential conditional amino acids (a brproduct of eating protein broken down into amino acids when digested).
anyway, glycine is a non essential one, anyone who eats protein gets it.
Amino acid, nonessential: An amino acid that can be made by humans and so is not essential to the human diet. There are 11 nonessential amino acids: alanine, arginine, asparagine, aspartic acid, cysteine, glutamic acid, glutamine, glycine, proline, serine, and tyrosine.
sarcosine is about as good as eating peanut butter and beef jerky or drinking milk.

Have you at least read the research?

3 Likes

I read alot of research.