Rough day at work

I am not progressing as well as my trainers at my new job would like. Today was rough, I couldn’t keep up. My trainer flat out told me I need to do things faster, but I swear I am trying. I’m worried this isn’t going to work out.

Not to mention that the week after next I start three weeks of training in the clean room (making IV’s and such), something that is going to be extremely painful in my back, due to standing in one place for hours, not moving around all that much. I can see it now, me collapsing in pain in the clean room.

Back pain aside, I think my only real hope for keeping this job is the fact that we’re short-staffed. I’m hoping that as long as I am trying hard (I hope they can tell I’m trying hard) and contributing something maybe they will keep me on. I don’t know, but today stressed me out terribly. I’m not doing well.

5 Likes

I am so sorry @freakonaleash :confounded: Hope you find a solution for your back :frowning:
Can’t you see a doctor this weekend or take some strong pain killers?

Hope you do not lose your job :confused:

1 Like

Hey Scuba. I really hope they go easy on you. It sounds like a really tough job. Just wanted you to know I’m thinking about you.

2 Likes

Get some extra sleep and give it your all. That’s all you can do. If it’s to difficult something else will come up. It might get easier with time. best wishes.

1 Like

I think you’re showing a lot of spunk just for trying. Maybe as you gain experience you can increase your speed. If not, look for something that doesn’t hurt your back. My back hurts me too, but I don’t have to work much because I live at an assisted living center.

1 Like

I will see if I can get in with a dr next week. I just got insurance, don’t have my insurance card yet, but I am insured so maybe I can just look up my insurance company’s preferred providers list and get in with someone. I just hope that, besides ordering testing to see what’s wrong, that the dr will be willing to prescribe me something strong for pain. Advil and Aleve do absolutely nothing.

There’s said to be an opioid crisis in the U.S., so we’ll see, some doctors are hesitant to prescribe them. A narcotic painkiller might make me more sluggish, but at least hopefully I won’t be in terrible pain anymore. The only time I would take it would be when I’m at work. I can live with the pain at home, plus at home I can rest my back, which is the only thing that helps it, short of taking such a painkiller. The dr might want to see the results of the tests before prescribing anything strong, I don’t know; there are a lot of drug seekers out there who will claim to be in terrible pain, just to get their hands on such a script.

2 Likes

It’s tempting just to go to the ER after work, since I’ll already be at a hospital. I work at the children’s hospital, but the regular adult hospital is attached to it.

2 Likes

I am sorry you had such a rough day at work. Do you train with just one person? Maybe your trainer has unrealistic goals and/or is just trying to push your limits some.

I think you are right about the doctors and getting pain meds in the US right now. It sucks because opiates are effective and sometimes needed.

Good luck with everything!

1 Like

yeah if you can, just go and get it checked out before it ruins your life and career.

1 Like

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I was so hoping this was going to be a great new job for you. Hang in there the best you can. Maybe you’ll speed up and your back will recover quickly and everything will turn out just fine soon.

1 Like

I’m getting it checked out, in the ER waiting room right now. It looks like a long wait.

2 Likes

R u a nurse? 151515

No, I just started as a pharmacy tech at a hospital.

Well, I’m back home. They didn’t run any tests, the dr thinks the pain is from back spasms. They gave me a shot of Toradol, which seemed to do nothing, and a script for Flexeril. I sure hope the Flexeril helps. He also referred me to their back clinic, so they should be calling me Monday. A part of me still wonders if it’s a disk issue, there’s a chance it is, but I’m hoping the dr is right. I really should just trust what the dr said; I was at one of the best hospitals in the U.S., consistently ranked among the top ten hospitals in the country.

I’m sorry your having such a rough time.
Have you tried looking into proper footwear for standing long hours? It can make a big difference.
I hope things get better for you.

I don’t know, my shoes are pretty comfortable, though maybe they will have recommendations at the back clinic.

I got a talking-to at work today, by one of the older techs. Apparently I haven’t been doing the ordering correctly. She was pissed at me, but even said that she wasn’t overly concerned that I wasn’t doing it right, considering that I’m going to be working evenings (assuming I make it through the training period), and the techs on evenings don’t do any ordering. It was unpleasant, nonetheless, made me feel like an incompetent ass.

Have you had an MRI of your back? Have you tried physical therapy? The back clinic should be able to advise you. Try to relax when you’re at home and allow your back to rest.

No, I have never had an MRI. The back clinic will probably put me in physical therapy.