Risperdal withdrawal help needed, cant get to doctor

Hello, i been off risperdal for 10 days now and dont hear or see anything anymore after a psychosis i had. however im concerned as my chest has started the beginning stages of gynocomastia after just three months of this medication. i also have developed twisting feelings in my nasal passages that i fear might be dystonia.

how long after this medication until i return to normal?
i cant get prolactin tested because im poor, and my dad refuses to take me to the doctor as i no longer hear voices and he says it made him broke.

what do i do? those lawsuit websites say it can remain elevated up to two years after stopping, and im afraid the problem will get worse. who has stopped this drug? how long until sexual side dysfunction subsides after this med? im terrified the problem will get worse

Welcome to the forum. What about the doc who gave you risperdal? Can’t you get in touch with him/her?

Did you psychiatrist tell you to stop taking your medicine or did you just stop?

If you just stopped it you need to start taking it again. It isn’t good to just quit like that. You need to discuss this with your psychiatrist and he’ll change your meds. Do not try to do this by yourself. You will have rough symptoms if you get off your meds.

1 Like

my dad wont take me to the doctor or pay for a prescription, and i cant get the proper blood work done testing prolactin although hes paying loads of money to remodel my aunts house. isnt this an emergency for male to grow breasts? i dont see why my dad is acting like he cant afford it

they diagnosed me with schizophrenia after taking adderall for dysmythia but ive been off the meds and im perfectly fine, seems they just go by the path of least malpractice when it comes to doctors, but what dumbfounds me is even while psychotic i was sound enough to request NOT being put on risperdone and both doctors dismissed the male breasts thing as a nonissue. now i might need surgeryand without a doctor its hard to know when the danger of them getting worse will subside thats why im here :frowning:

How old are you?

I think it’s an emergency, but please stay on your meds until your psychiatrist tapers you off them.

Is your dad in denial? My mom is. She wants me to come off meds because meds block my connection to the spirit world. She believes I’m connected to spirits, not that I have sz.

Yes, I am male and was always high on prolactin until one day the doctor initiated a blood test. Was taking risperidone for 10 years and am now taking aripiprazole. I remember a man said my chest looked like breast while a woman argued that my grown breast was actually muscle.

Risperdal is the worst AP for prolactin elevation that I know of, there are other meds that raise it alot less, I think one of them is clozapine. Antipsychotics linger in your system for months after you stop taking them which might be the reason for the prolactin elevation, it should go back to normal in time. Regular exercise can help counteract it, it might even miraculously cure you, that’s happened to me with some of my side-effects.

Don’t jump the gun. I was on Risperdal for years and it wasn’t for awhile that my Prolactin increasd. I started to get my period only once a year until it totally stoped. My pdoc took me off of it and one month to six weeks later I got my period. I’m interested to see what my levels are now.

Can you apply for Medicaid? I am on SSD so I have Medicare and Medicaid and it pays for most things.
Don’t just stop taking your meds though.Good luck. :sunny:

Update: So it’s been one month off Risperdone and still no improvement in twisting in the face, in fact today I began smashing my teeth together uncontrollably and im now worried about my dental health. If anyone has any additional advice regarding Risperdal withdrawal please let me know. i saw someone posted it could take six weeks or could take three months. breasts tissue has gotten worse and i feel like my heart and intestines are being pinched.

i hope to god this all goes away on its own, im going to to update this forum post until the end just incase someone else researches risperdal and wants to know if others experienced this (unless there isnt an end then god help me)

i feel really bad because i live with my family for free right now and keep getting pressuring from my family to get a job and i feel i need to get one now to save for breast reduction surgery, but i dont know what to do i quite literally feel brain damaged and like a twelve year old my confidence is drained because of the twisting feelings that just will NOT go away. not to mention hairs all over my bed falling out probably due to prolactin.

please lord jesus if you exist please help me not to fall into a slump. i could easily get my life back i just need to recover from the twisting feeling, regain my cognition and get breast surgery and ill be fine.

Hey man how old are you? I’m just wandering cause I don’t want to grow breasts I’m 25 so I’m not in a pubescent stage of life. But if your in your twenties and you grew breast I want to stop take respiridone. My breast tissue has gotten larger but I’m far from having tits. I was also told that the swelling would return to normal after I stop taking meds. Anycase I’m sorry this all is happening to you. Best of luck buddy don’t let it hold you back.

im 26 didnt notice it until two months after taking it, and doctors ignored my plees not to be put on it as if gynecomastia didnt happen. what happens is risperdal is known to cause benign (but still growing) tumors in the pituatary gland. these tumors push on parts of the brain and release hormones that your body wouldnt normally release.

What the f… Dude I hate medications. Tumors now I got to worry about rumors now. Thanks man that really makes my day. ■■■■ I’m gonna die young

fortunately surgery is availible for the gynecomastia, what you might want to really consider is apif you get any pressure shaking or twisting it could be tarditive dystonia or dyskinesia, these are PERMANENT and uncurable. these meds are so poisonous its ridiculous i can not believe its still legal to prescribe risperdone. what drug company is going to voluntarily stop making a drug? FDA needs to step in.

dont worry too much about the tumors thing, supposedly according to jansen the maker of risperdal they are small, benign, and 20% of the population get them anyway. i read some forums saying sexual side effects and prolactin took two years to go back to normal

if you are like me though makes you wonder if this is the truth probably dangerous tumors just the ones they are reporting are benign. supposedly your brain adjusts or something. hasnt happened to me yet.

if you are lucky enough to get to a doctor they can prescribe tamoxifen for the male breasts that may prevent the need for surgery. i wish i was that lucky.

Well you seem pretty informed thanks for the info. What is the worst is the aps have done nothing to cut into my symptoms. It’s just mandatory precaution to be on antipsychotics to keep me as stable as possible. On niacin now and I’m starting to much better.

risperdone didnt start working for me until two and a half months on them. it has to build in your system. i had voices telling me the cia was using nanotechnology in risperdone to install spy equipment. so when i started feeling the twisting and chest growth i thought it was part of it.

i took zyprexa before which made them go away thank god i dont hear many voices now, most of it was adderall caused a psychosis. everything is a trade off, like zyprexa caused 25 a month in weight gain that effected my self esteem.

depakote caused itching all over mu body.

i read seroquel was supposed to be good maybe ask about that. get your prolactin levels checked, noone wants man breast.

glad i can regurgitate some of the knowledge ive been reading for the last month while i recover, ill keep this updated probably in two weeks because thats how long someone said it could take to subside

I’ve been on Resperidone for like 6 months no side effects no effects at all really. My breasts are swollen but they don’t seem to be growing. I’ll keep a close eye them. Maybe if this niacin knocks out the voices I can stop taking it. On top of that I’ve gotta get a job or disability or something.