Risperdal and poor urination flow

For a couple of days now, I notice that I am having a difficult time emptying out my bladder completely - it seems like I am going to the bathroom more often, but this could be related to diabetes.
I looked it up, and one of the side effects of Risperdal is problems with urination

• I am going to be discussing different options for me - I dont think that I can afford to stay on this drug any longer - it might not be the med - but there is that possibility
    Losing weight also is so difficult on Risperdal - this added weight gain is not healthy for me.
    There has got to be a better way - :confused:
2 Likes

Having troubles emptying your bladder completely has nothing to with diabetes or probably the risperdal. You can not blame the meds for everything! Seriously dude see a doctor asap about the bladder problem.

Not blaming the meds on everything - My last pdoc warned me about Risperdal and trouble urinating - it is an established side effect. Diabetes can cause this as well - something to do with the nerves controlling function.
Going to see the family doc next week - I see that you are on risperidone too - sorry for the scare.
Very well could be the meds - but maybe not

1 Like

I cannot ejaculate with Risperdal. I immediately stopped taking it. It also causes gynecomastia stop taking this dangerous drug!

Work with your doctor to find what is best for you. They don’t have to live with the side effects of these med’s. Be assertive.

I had this effect to when I was in hospital on 4mg risperdal. Reduce dosage for less effects

This is an old thread, but I can tell you that Risperdal causes a lot of Hormone and Sexual issues/problems.

It can cause a lot of Urinary difficulty as well.

I choose to stick with it because it keeps me out of the Hospital - its a good med otherwise, but its not for everyone.

Talk to your psychiatrist if you are having issues with Risperdal.

It shrunk my â– â– â– â– â–  and testicles!

Its more safer then the newer meds yeah but it messed my hormones up big time

Never heard it doing that, but I guess anything is possible.

Speak to a doctor.

I have seen many docs and another visit to a mental ward for a night

Now have a home team treating me for my rare side effects the pdoc is shocked by my â– â– â– â– â–  effect

What dose are you on? Do you get any atrophy in your groin? Can you get erections still

Im on a pretty low dose - 2.5mg a day, I take it in divided doses.

I suffer from a lot of sexual issues from this drug, including retrograde ejaculation, ED issues, low libido etc…

It does not bother me so much because I am currently single and not looking for a mate.

It would be a problem for me if I was in my 20s or 30s - Are you still on Risperdal?

Ah I had simular issues like you to, im off risperdal have not taken since august.

It was starting to hurt me a lot and make me sleep lots my groin dissapeared on it

Im 25 so its hard for me to have â– â– â– â– â–  issues I do prefer risperdal over abilify though the older AP are better and safer to use for me

So your â– â– â– â– â–  has not shrunk how long you been on risperdal for

I was on 4-3mg I would take it on and off as I was having extreme anxiety attacks from an adverse reaction to omeprazole

Funny that apriprazole and omeprazole im allergic to badly

If risperdal didnt fade my groin id of slowly tapered off it

Ive been on Risperdal for a while, maybe 6 or 7 years?

Many of the newer antipsychotics work like antidepressants, I cannot tolerate antidepressant type drugs - they make me manic and worsen my anxiety too much.

1 Like

Wow long time, guess what I was on it for 7 weeks at most and my groin area is barely there

You have had way more then me so its obviously my chemistry is odd

When I was on it I felt like I was dieing and was so out of it do you not get these effects?

Do you feel flat? Im still flat from it and its been months

Risperdal is great for delusions and ocd but its taken to much from me in so little doses and time

The thing is, at my dose, I dont feel flat - it takes time to get used to - over 3 mg and I start feeling flat.

Yeah at first hospital put me on 4mg way to high within weeks switched to 3mg then 2mg

Then went on abilify without tapering and had a huge reaction/withdrawl

I agree SSRI and new AP make me manic to

If I could do it again id try olanzpine or haloperidol

Do you have jerky movements?

No jerky movements - some Akathisia at doses over 3 mg

As soon as I was on risperdal I had jerky leg movements all the time

Then on abilify jerking was even more crazy

Months later its finally eased off still have slight jerky tremors though and nausea

AP have ruined my life tbh

There are more AP choices now - Have you tried Rexulti, Abilify, Latuda, Saphris, Vraylar (is coming out soon) Geodon?

These APs are “safer” meds - Not so harsh with sexual side effects.

I did not know of these meds, I tried abilify and nearly died so I assume it will be simular to geodon and others?

Abilify gave me tinnitus also very scary for me. Ill look into those other AP you mention.

I just feel like my organs are not right at the moment my eyes and groin seem to be focus point I hope I can recover from this

Im on mirtazapine and zopIclone I have no sides to them