Rexulti update Day 1

Rexulti update Day 7 and 8—Day 7 was ok.I felt a little anxious but not that bad.My therapist got back in contact with me about an appointment for the anxiety and restlessness.It was today.I had a resident doctor that prescribed me a heart medicine to help with the anxiety and restlessness.I will update tomorrow on the name of it because it’s at the pharmacist.I hope it helps.

Today was better I really didn’t have the anxiety but even after taking the medicine I was really tired.I slept in the morning because during the sleep study I only slept 2 hours, so I was tired when I got home.I thought I would have been ok after midday but I was still tired.I have this thing where my hearing goes in and out.It started after I started taking the rexulti, it happens sometimes.I hope its a temporary side effect.I forgot to mention it to the doctor, unfortunately. I have another appointment on the 29th with my regular p-doc so I will mention it to her, if I’m still having the side effect.

I would say for the 1st 7 days it has been an overall an ok drug ,it has its positives; where I gave me motivation to wake up in the mornings and it allowed me to not take sleeping pills for 4 nights.The negatives so far are the side effects with me which are;restlessness, hearing more voices than before (I was on latuda before), some weight gain, anxiety, confusion, hearing going in and out ,and I felt a little slowed down.

1 Like

The reason I would switch to rexulti is to get rid of anxiety and restlessness of abilify , but it sounds like that’s a problem for you after just 7 days. That’s good feedback, thanks.

1 Like

Your welcome, everhopeful

Rexulti update Day 9— Day 9 is not good.I felt very anxious today.I took the new medicine, its called propanolol it doesn’t do anything but make me sleepy.I slept most of the day.The time I wasn’t sleeping I felt horrible.I really am trying to give the medicine a chance but I don’t think its the right medicine for me. I also gained 3 more pounds for a total of 5 lbs gained in 8 days.I’m going to talk to my therapist on monday to get back in contact with my p-doc to get me on something else.

1 Like

So much for the low anxiety hype of rexulti. Good to know.

My psychiatrist told me that Rexulti is basically rebranded Abilify more or less.

I dont think that I would be able to handle the Anxiety symptoms - this is good to know.

Thank you @Brea99 for the updates - I wish you well on whatever you decide to do next.

1 Like

Hi Brea - what did you end up doing - are you still on Rexulti or did you change? If you changed - what are you on now, in terms of medication?

IS rexulti good to treat negative symptoms? Thanks

I’ve never tried rexulti, so don’t know. But abilify is supposed to help with negative symptoms and I’m on that. I still have negative symptoms though. But I assume it would be worse on another med. It’s been so long since I was on another med, I’ve forgotten what it’s like.

Rexulti is also approved for Major Depression, so it’s probably going to be pretty good for Negative Symptoms.

If my FSH Hormone levels go any higher, I’ll probably make the switch to Rexulti - I really don’t have a choice.

I’m hoping that my anxiety levels will be in check.

From what I understand, Latuda is worse for anxiety than Rexulti.

I am pretty sure that my psychiatrist has started to prescribe Rexulti to some of her patients - she said that there are enough differences between Abilify and Rexulti - Akathisia and anxiety is less intense with Rexulti.

I’m going to cross my fingers.

That’s good to hear. I wouldn’t mind trying Rexulti, but then my insurance wouldn’t cover it.

1 Like

Hey I’m sorry I’m late getting back but I’m on serequel 200 mg now. I wanted to get on something older to see if ir caused weight gain for me and it does. I’ve been on it ever since I stopped the rexulti. I’m trying to go without medicine for a few because I got over 300 lbs. I know I need it but I also want to live as well. If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated because it’s like everything I’ve been on causes weight gain.

1 Like

Just my opinion it made my symptoms worse.

Oh Man, makes me want to go on a tried and true Antipsychotic like Zyprexa :confused:

Is interesting that different countries take different stances on newly released meds. Here in the uk most pdocs tend to stick to tried and tested older meds. In general they are a bit cynical regarding pharmaceutical company studies. (Saying that here in the uk most meds prescribed are generics due to the cost to the taxpayer).

It seems like in the us doctors are more keen to try new drugs. I think there is something to be learnt from both approaches. By that I mean new does not always mean better - but at the same time there would be no progress if we didn’t try new things.

Out of interest: are prescription meds advertised to the public in the US? Here in the uk only over the counter drugs are allowed on tv.

Prescription drugs are advertised here in the States.

Took .5 mg for 7 days — Day 4 I woke up and felt “normal” for the first time in decades. Gained 5 pounds in seven days though — very uncomfortable. Went up to 1 mg on day eight but got way too anxious and went back down to .5 mg. Have taken it for a total of about 22 days and feel good. I never have achieved the same feeling that I had on days 4,5 and 6, but the memory of those days will stop the fires of hope in May for a very long time. Overall I have only gained 5 pounds total. I am also on Pristiq — miracle drug if you suffer from panic attacks in my opinion. Have taken that now for roughly 15 months. The combination of the two has me quite stable which is a true blessing.

1 Like

My mentally challenged daughter has been prescribed Rexulti of which I’ve been reading about here. I’ve noticed that several have indicated that Rexulti contributes to anxiety. My daughter has been on Risperdone and on Xraylar within this past year. Her doctor took her off of it because of other health related issue side effects. The Xraylar has not been totally consistent for her. One thing that I added that helped with the anxiety was CBD oil . It seems that this addition has made all medications more stable for her. I suspect that I will have to continue with it for this medication also. CBD oil is a cannabinoid (hemp plant) but only has .03 of the THC levels of marijuana. For an acquaintance of ours, it cut their seizures by 67%. I feel that it works well as an assistant to psychiatric related medications and helps with my daughters anger and anxiety levels.

Hello, @Brenda_Stefka! I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Volunteer Moderator Treebeard

1 Like