Ready for some work!

A big batch of linen I ordered came in, so I’m ready to start working on some commissions! I have a pair of tunics and trousers to make, which shouldn’t take more than 6 hours total to complete, for which I’m getting paid $120. Normally I’d get $270 for them, but they’re for a friend so he gets a major discount.

$120 will just cover the fabric cost, because I bought WAY more than I needed for the commission, so I could make some stuff for myself out of the remaining fabric. I’m going to make two Viking apron dresses and two matching kirtles, which are an underdress with long sleeves.

I’m excited about getting back to work! I also have another tunic and trousers to make out of cotton, and possibly a Victorian-inspired corset and skirt, so I’m going to be busy for a little while! It’s time, though, I’m back to something resembling stability and I’m enthusiastic about getting started. I just hope I can keep getting customers, last time I had the big commission from the renaissance club but this year they’re doing their costumes in-house so I have to do private commissions instead. Oh well!

5 Likes

It’s great that you’re getting back into the swing of things. I’m glad you’re doing it.

I’ve shopped for corsets, but I’ve never bought one. It wouldn’t be too cool asking my mom to cinch it up for me. I’d better wait until I get a lover.

Or just a good friend! My boyfriend couldn’t lace a corset if his life depended on it, but I have plenty of girl friends who can help me.

1 Like

True, if I get a good room mate. I might make a friend. It is hard to make friends at the big school I’m going to. I have friends who would lace me up.

1 Like

Okay, the first tunic is done, took me an hour and a half to make, right now it’s soaking in vinegar to soften the linen. So far, so good, I put on some dance music and went to work like I had never stopped!

3 Likes

Two tunics down! And I put a page together on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/rowantreeclothiers if you want to take a look! (Mods, sorry if this counts as advertising, take this post down if it breaks the rules)