Quitting Cannabis to Take Kickboxing

Cannabis helps with my affective part of the sza, but it costs too much.

I have exactly the exact amount needed to pay for kickboxing for a month (like $70) saved up, but I’m tempted to spend most of it on cannabis to ease my anxiety and irritability and mood swings.

I love kickboxing, need to lose like 30 pounds, and now is the time to get back in. Still, I feel the cravings for cannabis whenever I can’t sleep late at night, or I start getting back horrible memories. It’s only been like 3 or 4 days without any cannabis. I drank the first 2 days but I found out I’m anemic this week, so I decided to quit drinking the four locos, too. Haven’t drank or smoked this weekend, but drinking is like 99% easier to quit for me than smoking, since cannabis has medicinal benefits and alcohol just makes me feel terrible…also will drunk text people I would never contact otherwise.

I’m going to weather the storm and just take kickboxing, so wish me luck! Maybe I’ll wind up getting cannabis next month or something, but even that is a change from my cannabis every day diet.

This is me pumping myself up to get back into kickboxing and also to weather the storm of my moods

Hoping to do these types of moves lol:

4 Likes

Yay good for you!

Kickboxing is probably better for your overall health (Not judging or telling you what to do) but that’s just my .02.

But that’s so awesome you’re sticking with the martial arts.

If I lived close to a good dojo, and could give up cigs I would do the same. I have a friend who is going to visit though, and he’s going to teach me some “moves” haha.

:v:

1 Like

i had a kickboxing trainer who smoked cigarettes, drank every night before he sparred with us, and basically ate nothing but red meat lol. He was like 48 years old and I could never keep up with him! Sometimes you just gotta try! lol

Have you tried looking into non-karate things like MMA, brazilian jiu jitsu, Muay Thai, or judo? I know there’s a lot more of those in Cali (I read on a thread that you’re in Cali, like myself).
don’t wait to try, just go! I was waiting for my weight to go down, for my stamina to go up, to improve my cardio, but I was like ah i’ll just join right now and try to keep up. A good gym will be understanding if you need to take a break or if your cardio isn’t ready for intensive exercise yet.
Thanks, I’m going to take your two cents and put them in my piggybank lol (meaning I will take your advice)

1 Like

Hahaha my two cents are being invested yay!

I’m actually in the Midwest now but I grew up in Cali.

We do have a Judo club here, but I have to walk over a dangerous highway to get to it. We don’t have a very good bus system here. And I didn’t feel very welcome at the BJJ school.

1 Like

oh that sucks! Yea, there are some terrible, unregulated gyms out there with no sense of business and customers service. It’s up to the trainer to create the environment and if you didn’t feel welcome, that’s on the trainer.

I always do hate that “we are athletically superior to you, do not slow us down, we do not want you here” attitude that some students can get. Then again, you never know, all the amateur and pro fighters I met have been humble and kind. Maybe it’s their ring experience that builds a different perspective.

the worst treatment I got was by some beginning students at kickboxing who decided I was too fat and slow to be their partners. I didn’t feel welcome for the first i dunno 6 months to a year. I decided just to be okay with not making friends or talking to people. I devoted myself to the art and to my surprise, the fighters and trainers took a liking to me, likely because they could see how much I loved kickboxing and wasn’t doing it for aesthetics or bragging rights. The treatment from the beginners never got better and I left to another gym, but now I’m coming back to my first gym! I’m technically better than I left now, so I’m hoping I get to spar again, that way I won’t even have to deal with the beginner girls.

I later joined a different gym where I sparred! That second gym was super friendly. Can you do a free trial week to check out the atmosphere? A lot of places do a free 3 or 5 day trial week.
Sorry to write so much, but this is like my favorite topic lol!!!

1 Like

No need to apologize :smiley:

It’s probably my favorite topic too !!

You inspired me to read some of my MA books later. I have quite a few haha. The main ones that sticks out to me though are the Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee and this boxing book I have. :smiley:

edited to add: Thank you for inspiring me!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Glad to inspire! I want to read Bruce Lee’s book, too! I have a small collection of ebooks on the martial arts and these two are my faves:

Here’s one about the philosophy of fighting (think the Art of War)

Here’s one about technicality in Muay Thai:

1 Like

I’ve heard of the Book of Five Rings. Is that the same book as the Samurai classic?

Yup!! It’s all about how to counter an attack, strategy, defense, offense. Very philosophical.

1 Like

Cool! I’m looking at different versions of it on amazon now. Haha.

1 Like

I think the ebook is free to buy right now, like this second, in the US!

1 Like

I think you’ve just won the award for taking “KICKING the habit” too literally!

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Personally, weed is an all-or-nothing thing for me. I wouldn’t be able to smoke next month and then just lay off it like nothing happened. But I’m glad you’re trying to quit. I feel much better now that I’m not smoking cannabis. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

the 1 thing I ever stole on purpose…was that musashi book… but then I let a friend borrow it and he returned it to the library lol… it had not been checked out in 15 years and I read it 4 times…

2 Likes

Well it’s day I don’t know because of my bad memory off weed and I’m irritable and not sleeping, but hey at least I got to go to my kickboxing class yesterday! HaPpY!

It was great, got to see old familiar faces and people were kinda nicer than before. It was a great work out, I think I lost 2 pounds in that one hour I went (I am starting off with only one hour until I can build my endurance and stay for two hours at a time).

I really don’t know how to deal with the intrusive thoughts or rapid mood swings without cannabis, so I’ve just been super focused on taking long walks and watching kickboxing videos.

I’m hoping to lower my blood sugar which was borderline back in April. I’m also hoping to lose some belly fat and tone up. Lastly, I want them to let me spar (this gym never let me spar before). I just have to show then I’m up for the challenge, somehow.
anyways, just wanted to post that it’s a great thing, kickboxing, and exercise in general!

3 Likes

This is an excellent topic! I want to blaze and be fit at the same time… some of my higher functioning friends are able to do this. Currently I just blaze and video game. I do love dancing and martial arts though, though I mostly just have fun with them. I have a power station that I can do dips and chin ups on in my small apartment, which suits me because I don’t have the motivation or consistent hygiene standards for kickboxing classes, and I wouldn’t know which school to choose. I’ve studied Bruce Lee a bit, but not extensively, but really love his Jeet Kune Do philosophy of form having no form, that sort of thing. Take what you find useful, and discard the rest. I really do believe in non-violence in general but my body thirsts for sporting competitiveness/combat.

I think the darkness of my sz is lifting a bit, or lifting quite a bit, and I am starting to branch out of engaging with the world through just video games.

1 Like

Yes, the hygiene thing is a freaker for me, too. Here are things I do to avoid being smelly:

1. take a shower as close to class as possible, even a power shower (a real quick wash with soap, shampoo, etc…)
  2. always be prepared with fresh undies, sports bra, exercise clothes, and a sweat towel. if you don’t have these, skip that day, it’s best just to be on the safe side
  3. before class, use a bleach wipe to clean the inside of the boxing gloves to keep glove stink to a minimum
  4. spray with perfume, cologne before you go
  5. rub with scented lotion before you go.
  6. carry a stick of deodorant in your sports bag 24/7 and put it on before and during practice.
  7. brush teeth before you go and bring a travel sized bottle of mouth wash just in case
  8. get odor eaters for your feet and powder them before you go

and still, it’s a sweaty, difficult class, so I wind up smelling anyways.

This is my second month in kickboxing and it’s going pretty good! :smiley:

4 Likes

Are you male or female, @HQuinn?

female 11515144141535

Kick the habit. Makes sense.

1 Like