Question For Everyone

Do any of you find it much more difficult to say no, or to express disagreement with…just about anything at all these days? I’m being more literal than most people who use these phrases, so I need you to really read my words.

5 Likes

I used to have a very hard time saying no, because I learned from an early age that saying no has no effect on anything. Through lots of therapy, I now have an easier time saying no. It still makes me feel guilty sometimes.

4 Likes

Thank you for responding. I want to hear from a lot of people if possible.

2 Likes

I am sorry , I feel like I can’t breathe properly through the nose and its driving me crazy,
it sucks out my desire to live more than schizophrenia

I honestly don’t have any problem saying no or expressing disagreement. However, I will disagree, but I’m never disagreeable. There is a difference.

This seems far less coherent than your typical post. And it’s incredibly off topic.

1 Like

What can I do?
It drives me crazy.
When you have severe health problems it dominates your consciousness
You should show empathy and give advice, instead of criticizing.
@Lexicon
My experience can also help other people facing similar problems.
However, I am ready to move the discussion to another topic.

1 Like

I have no problem in saying no, or disagreeing with someone / something. I hold honesty very highly, and quite a lot of the time a part of being honest does include the ability to disagree.

1 Like

I don’t like to disagree because I hate conflict. But I can say no when I need to.

5 Likes

The same goes for me @Anna

2 Likes

I do say “no” when something is clearly false.

“William, do you want dinner?”
"no.

“are you sure?”
“yes.”

if I pause on that “yes.” then mom thinks I mean “yes, I want dinner.”
so usually I end up using a double “no” instead.

mom’s logic:

2 Likes

It’s difficult to empathize over a stuffy nose m8. But I hope you feel better. Get a tissue lol

2 Likes

I say no a lot in my head, but what often comes out of my mouth is yes.

I generally avoid conflict, since I’m quick to bristle at things sometimes.

@Erez_Shmerling, feel free to start your own thread about having a cold. This thread is about difficulty saying no, and the conversation needs to be kept on topic.

Ninjastar
Volunteer moderator

1 Like

Seconded! :rice_scene:

Though I just realised I also play devils advocate a lot, which seems to contradict what I just said.

1 Like

It depends on the situation at hand. When people ask me for help I have hard time telling them no…if I have no prior opinion about a topic, it’s hard for me express disagreement with. However if it’s something I feel honestly and 100% is wrong I will say no. Some times I do wind up going with the vast majority of a group just so people will like me.

2 Likes

I feel bad about saying no like they’ll think im just being lazy and want to hurt them just cause. Im trying to overcome it but when I say no I still feel like it’s sorta wrong and then I feel bad.

1 Like

yeah I hardly say no Im working on it but I avoid confrontations at all cost so there’s that

I avoid confrontations where ever possible, but I say no if It is something I want nothing to do with.

1 Like

Recently, I’ve really stopped being assertive and honest in expressing opinions in real life, I try not to hurt anyone and not be perceived negatively otherwise I get mental hangovers the next day. I think that’s bad and due to that I feel kinda weak (still, I care about feelings of other people, at least usually). My mother always tells me that I should not arguee with idiots. Although personally I may have quite extreme opinions about people I know and topics labeled as controversial. Political correctness is the cancer of the XXI century.

2 Likes