Pushing Through Lack of Motivation?

Hello everyone. I am new to this site. I am in my mid twenties, a male, and paranoid schizophrenic. I really want to regain a normal life again via school and work. However, my negatives (lack of motivation) are really affecting me. I haven’t done anything in about a year and half. My psychologist, whom I only saw once so far, says a day where I get a sudden spark of motivation will never come so I just need to “get out there and do something”. The idea is I’ll gain momentum and keep going on with school, which will in turn lead to work. Have any of you experienced this? Did you also have to push through your lack of motivation and now you are living a productive life? Did your lack of motivation ever go away? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Its all will power to get things done

1 Like

welcome to the forum! I have no motivation. I need to clean my house today and doubt I’ll do it. But if you can go to college I think you should. Anything you can push yourself to do then do it, by all means. For me I guess I’m just lazy lol

1 Like

I suffer from lack of motivation. I’m on the forum avoiding work right now. I’ve been sick for a year and a half and I feel like everything is falling apart around me. I don’t want to garden anymore. My garden is covered in weeds.

I put out effort to get things done but it comes and goes in spurts. I’m not dependably active day in and day out. Maybe I will get better with time, I don’t know. It doesn’t feel like it.

But spurts of activity are better than nothing. Do you have times when you get things done and times when you don’t? Or are you just not active all the time?

2 Likes

Yeah I know what you mean. I’m also avoiding work/school. Or do you mean you are working right now but really on the forum?

Yeah, I do have times when I get things done. I exercise every single day of the week and I also watch what I eat to be healthy. But other than that, I’m not active.

I’m thinking about just one class at a time but I know driving there and back, studying, homework will be a pain.

I understand you completely. It’s not laziness per say, it’s our negatives lol

1 Like

My lack of motivation lessened over time, though that is rare for people with schizophrenia. However, I feel like my willpower fades over time so I can’t keep a job for long. After my first episode when I had negative but no cognitive symptoms I was able to get through some classes with good grades but after I got cognitive symptoms things became harder. It’s been a year and a half so you’ve probably done enough recovering to try something out. What kind of school are you looking at?

1 Like

A pilot study of loving-kindness meditation for the negative symptoms of schizophrenia

Abstract:
This pilot study examined loving-kindness meditation (LKM) with 18 participants with schizophrenia spectrum disorders and significant negative symptoms. Findings indicate that the intervention was feasible and associated with decreased negative symptoms and increased positive emotions and psychological recovery.

3 Likes

‘Loving Kindness Meditation - Guided’ - UNH Health Services

1 Like

I see I see. Just a community college. Are you going to school/work or anything?

I am back from lunch and I should go inside and work. My husband fired the Office Manager so now I have to do her job. But there are no repercussions for me if I don’t except things not getting done. What’s my husband going to do, fire me?

It is good that you work out everyday and eat well to stay healthy. That is proof that you can get things done. I am sure that you can handle a class or two and would find the mental stimulation gratifying. I wish you good luck with your endeavors. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, I will look into it.

Lol very funny and cool!

Very true. I certainly hope so. Aw thank you! I wish you good luck on your endeavors too. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I might wait till next year to do a coding bootcamp if my symptoms improve. I’m leaning toward just getting disability for now though. Went back to work for three months, then started school but my mind couldn’t keep up.

1 Like

I have deficit schizophrenia. Google it.
I have not only avolition, but also anhedonia and flat affect. The devil’s trifecta!! Life was a nightmare until I decided to try CBT. Google it too.

I give you one advice. Try to find a passion, something to keep your mind and body occupied, something that you can feel proud about doing. It needs not be related to school. Maybe you’ve never liked school anyway (?). But in time, doing what you like every day might bring you back the motivation for other things, more mundane.
It’s not a guarantee but it’s a good bet.

1 Like

In my case I push myself until I start to feel physically bad, it is not enough for school/work but at least I wash dishes sometimes…
You need to find your real limits (some people have very strong negs, others are able to work/college) and build your life around them.

1 Like

I have a lack of motivation. I haven’t worked since 2007. I’ve tried to find jobs but it hasn’t worked out so far. I don’t have the motivation to fight for jobs. I have to fight bc I’m older and people don’t want to hire old people.

1 Like