Poll: How old were you when first dxed with schizophrenia or schizoaffective?

I had my first psychotic break at age 16,but didn’t receive treatment until I was 37.

1 Like

I may have had my first break with reality in my teens but due to the nature of my illness it’s hard to say what happened and what didn’t. I mean I can recall now the shattering of my very psyche on several occasions but I don’t know for sure whats real and whats imagined. I know that whats imagined doesn’t generally make the news so I have that to go on. But I’m really at a loss as to what I truly went through in my teens. I have but vague memories of being 16 at all. That was a shattered discombobulated lost year for me.

2 Likes

Ah okay, I get what you mean. That happened to me a few years back. I’ve since then broke two toes, a finger, lost 30+ pounds of weight, and am probably going to lose a few teeth.
Mostly because I had a distrust of doctors. One of my toes is still out of place and my fingers crooked. I still haven’t gained weight back either.
I kept being under the impression that someone poisoned my toothbrush so I quit using it all together. I’m still on no medication and I plan on going to a doctor soon to have a better diagnoses and start getting myself back on track.

I was diagnosed at 40. Very late onset if compared with most people here.

diagnosed 26…but showed signs as a small kid…made my first lightsaber at 5…built my first spaceship at 7…the dark side is strong in my family.
take care

2 Likes

Was diagnosed at 17 years old with Psychos NOS, than Undifferientiated Schizophrenia at 18, then Disorganized Schizophrenia at 19, if I’m remembering it all correctly. It’s hard to keep up with times.

I was 40 when I first graced a psychiatrist door. Up until then I self medicated and jumped from job to job before symptoms appeared.

1 Like

i was diagnosed at nineteen. i would estimate the voices started at maybe seventeen? along with a lot of social withdrawal. i’m ashamed to say that i wouldn’t have ever sought help. if emergency services hadn’t been called on me, i surely wouldn’t have been diagnosed at nineteen. even then it was many years before i believed them even a little. i tried to go to court to have my medical files redacted. the label, i mean. that was a mess. i don’t advise it.

anyway, i chose eighteen to twenty four, but in a way i feel like diagnosed more at thirty five as that’s when i started taking it at all as a real diagnosis that might apply to me, if that makes sense.

I was crumbling most of my life, but got my shiny label when I was 17.

Symptoms first appeared when I was about 21 but I received diagnoses of BP and depression until this year at age 34. Finally, I have an understanding of what is really going on. It’s been a really long road for me.

Surprised by the amount in 25-29 group , that is generally thought off as late onset and represents a minority of sz sufferers in real life, it confirms I think due to the large representation on this site ,that the people that post here have disproportiantly a better prognosis.

I was told time and time then got a ADr to look in to it at 21 its toke three years to go down hill fast dx in 86 at 23

I was diagnosed as schizoaffective at 31 but with bipolar at like 23.

I had problems since I was 21 but I was Diagnosed when I was 25-26

I would have been diagnosed at 17, but I was taking a lot of drugs and they thought that was the problem. Wasn’t until I was about 25 that I got a formal diagnosis, after I went to hospital without having taken any drugs. I think it also depends largely on geography as well. In the UK it’s a bit of a lottery, and they only seem to deal with people when they’re in a proper state and can no longer cope with day-to-day living.

I was 42 when I got diagnosed.

Almost the same, started having symptoms since 8-10, and got diagnosed in 24!

Judging from the poll so far the average age for first being dxed seems to be about 26.

I was 41. Late compare to most of you.