Poll: Haldol or Prolixin?

Which of these two would you pick? Some people have probably not heard of these, but it’s all I can afford with my suck-ass insurance. Give me your justifications if you have experience with either/both. I’m going to have to go off my Loxitane just when it started to work wonders. I’m so mad about this!

• Haldol

• Prolixin

1 Like

haven’t really used it…

Do Not Use Haldol ,

It Causes Akathaysia .

That Is A Nightmare …

2 Likes

For me, both drugs are hard to tolerate, but Prolixin is less harsh.

1 Like

I’m not trying to be dense, but how effective was the Prolixin at relieving the psychotic symptoms?

Prolixin was completely effective at removing my psychotic symptoms. I sure was miserable when I was on it, though. How AP’s affect people can vary. What works for one person might not work for another.

1 Like

What was miserable about it?

I would surely not recommend Haldol, 'cos it can cause tardive dyskinesia, which is cyclic body movements. :flushed:

All antipsychotics can cause tardive dyskinesia, even the new ones (although at a lower rate). I had a TD scare, but I’m okay now.

Really?? I had a suspicion, but I wasn’t sure!!! That’s awful!!! There are some foods or food supplements recommended on the section “Sz treatments” in sz.com about tardive dyskinesia, but I am not sure if they help!

How do you describe feelings that are miserable? I can only say that it felt very bad for me. It might not be that way for you. There is a guy at the assisted living center where I live who loves what Prolixin does for him. Prolixin was bad for me. Haldol was worse. I found the time release shots easier to tolerate than the oral doses of Haldol.

@anon40540444 Are there any atypicals that you are willing to try?
I know that you prefer the typicals.
Just because TD is less common with the atypicals, maybe except for risperidone, which has a higher rate than the other atypicals

I’ve either tried them and failed, or they are too expensive. Even generic Geodon, for example, is over $90/month.

1 Like

Omg it is a nightmare! That’s why I came on here; to oppose Haldol. Never heard of the other one but I might have to give it a try because now my new anti psychotic (invega) is causing akathisia

Well, it has been settled…the pdoc is putting me on Prolixin soon. F uck Haldol.

2 Likes

I’m on prolixin and I love it. I take the generic fluphenazine. no side effects for me at all.

1 Like

Do you have to take Cogentin with it @jukebox?

no I don’t need any side effect meds with it…sorry for taking so long to answer.

1 Like

Hmm ,

I Take Invega and I Haven’t Had Any Troubles ,

I Actually Am Glad I Am Back On It ,

But To Each His/Her Own …

My son was on Prolixin injections for a long time, but never consistently. It seemed to work.
Once he had to start taking them on a regular basis, he had to start taking Cogentin. He had pretty bad tremors and in the end was having seizures. Dont know if that caused it. Im not sure what`s better–injections or the pills…?

1 Like