Paranoid Schizophrenia versus Schizoaffective Disorder: Neuropsychological Aspects

CONCLUSION:

In the remission phase, patients with paranoid schizophrenia expressed cognitive disorders in moderate degree, but when it comes to patients with schizoaffective disorder, more massive cognitive, deficits were registered.

The scientists really seem to have a heyday over how they just sling around the diagnosis.

To me, you have schizophrenia or you don’t. There’s no offshoot, there’s no sister diagnosis…it’s just schizo or not schizo.

I dunno every aspect, but I can tell you things have gotten alot better for me concerning the illness which is why I haven’t really been on the site venting about my personal issues. I’ve kind of kept an eye on posts though and it’s cool.

You always have great articles to post! Sooner or later I’ll begin the transcranial magnetic stimulation therapy. The VA didn’t approve to do it locally in my hometown in Illinois, so I’ll probably have to go to the VA hospital in Madison WI to get it done.

I hate commuting.

So people with schizophrenia symptoms and mood symptoms have schizophrenia or do they have a mood disorder?

Seems like it would be natural for someone with schizophrenia to be in a bad mood at times…that’s what I always thought.

My pdoc explained to me yesterday, that you should think of each of these dx on a bell curve, be it Sz, SZA, or psychosis.

Everyone has a different level of functioning. Some are at one end of the bell curve or the other, while most lie in the middle. This graph doesn’t really explain what I mean.

Edit: what I’m trying to say is that not all sza will experience massive, global cognitive deficits, more likely that most will fall in the moderate category. I mean the study only had 30 Inpatients in each group.

Interesting though nonetheless

Haha. This is why pdocs don’t like dx sza and depression with psychosis. Plus it’s so common for Sz to present with depression.

Edit: not laughing at you, just find humor in the problem of it all.

1 Like

Perhaps they should just have a unitary “psychosis spectrum” diagnosis covering from the extremes of schizophrenia to things with short lived spells of psychosis.

3 Likes

I would like to hear an update on how the change to “integration disorder” is working in Japan. Schizophrenia seems so inadequate and misleading.

That makes the most sense. That’s the chapter in my textbook “Sz Spectrum and other psychotic disorders” except it leaves out depression and bipolar with psychosis.

What does integration disorder mean? And who does it cover?