Out of the hospital

My grandfather is out of the hospital but he’s back in intensive care at the old folks home he’s in. I’m hearing mixed things from my uncle and his care takers so I don’t know exactly what is his current state. He may bounce back (according to my uncle, but he’s not a medical professional, he’s banker, he son is studying to become a doctor though and has been informing him). Yet I can’t help but think my grandfather is 89 years old and on a feeding tube, it doesn’t sound all that promising.

We are going to Chicago tomorrow, a 5 hour drive from here, to see him and look at some paper work he kept at his home before he was admitted the facility the first time. I’m almost all packed, got a few electronics I’m waiting to pack until the morning because they’re plugged in charging. Still got to get my movies and DVD player ready because the condo he was living in doesn’t have cable any more (one of the expenses my uncle cut when he realized my grandfather was going into the home long term, can’t say I blame him why keep cable when no one is at the condo watching it)?

Unfortunately this also means that there is no internet at my grandfather’s condo, but oh well I can live without the computer for a couple days. I’d rather go up and see how he’s doing for myself but I’m preparing myself for the worst. I just hope I don’t forget much on the trip up there, but I’m sure I should be able to find what I need in Chicago…

1 Like

My heart goes out to all of your family. I’m sure it will mean the world to your grandfather that his grandchild is around during his time of need. Even if he’s in no condition to say so. I;m wishing I was a better writer and lot wiser to offer more at the moment but please keep us posted as soon as you can.

1 Like

I’m glad you have the ability to spend some time with him while he’s going through this. Situations like this are hard on everyone.

I am wishing the best for your family.

I am sorry about your grandfather and grandmother. Getting old is tough. I don’t look forward to being so old I can’t look after myself. You sound prepared so try to make the trip fun? I know that may be hard. I have never seen Chicago. Heard it’s beautiful. Anyways, thanks for posting.

It is tough getting old, I am seeing this in my parents - it is just part of the circle of life. I hope you feel better soon and its a good time to spend it with family - best wishes to you @sohare1981

@jukebox thanks, but my grandmother on that side of the family passed away in 01, my grandmother on my dad’s side of the family is actually doing quite well. She had a bad fall a year or two ago, but other than that she’s still rather healthy.

And for everyone else,thanks for the well wishes. He was good on Sunday,but Monday he was really out of it and very, very weak. today he was slightly better, we came during his exercise time and waited for him to be better, after his therapy he wanted to lay down so we chatted a bit until he was ready to fall asleep, then we made the 5 hour trip home. My back has been killing me today, I lifted my big duffle bag, and it was a bit too heavy for me and shouldn’t have carried it as long and far as I did. Now my back is paying for it. I also managed to stub my big toe on a corner of a sharp door now there’s a nasty looking cut on it. I’m just glad to be home again, and I can relax and unwind now.

It was getting rather boring at my grandfather’s condo, not only does he no longer have internet there (since he’s not technically living there) but he didn’t have TV hooked to anything, nor was it a TV that could be hooked up to a DVD player…I managed to get the computer to play some DVD’s for us, but it was a very tiny screen for a while I was stuck on an uncomfortable dining room chair that got really hard, which wasn’t good for my back either and the first night I slept on my grandfather’s bed, which was as hard as a rock and so I woke up with a very, very stiff and sore back. I’m hoping to get the kicks out of it tonight sleeping on my own bed again.