One of my philosophy is we live life to suffer

But I see many people have comfortable and enjoyable life.While I seems to struggle more than the people around me,especially the past week when my parent are away.So tired

ā€œPain is inevitable, suffering is optionalā€

I donā€™t like the word ā€œoptionalā€ like itā€™s an ā€œoptionā€ for us sz folk to struggle or notā€¦like you can really ā€œchooseā€ in some cases, but I donā€™t believe suffering is mandatory.
Those people you see all happy are just lucky folk.

Hopefully one day you will reach that point of bliss!

Never give up my friendā€¦positive thoughts go a long way, and believing you can be free of suffering could make it possible!

2 Likes

Thanks @turningthepage for your kind word

1 Like

yes life is suffering ā€¦

Some people seem to like suffering. Me, Iā€™m working on my next podcast and celebrating Dominion Day. Iā€™d say that suffering is optional.

5 Likes

I would say we suffer to live. Weā€™re not doomed to be victims, I think, weā€™re also agents.

Why would the purpose of it all be suffering? For us to take some fatalist lesson at best out of the ā– ā– ā– ā–  that happens and move on to the next shitty one? Like children abandoned at a perpetual school without playground?

What @turningthepage said about suffering being optional goes a long way. Suffering is optional in the sense that you have the option to feed it or not. If you donā€™t feed it youā€™ll just feel it, and that can be hard at first, but eventually it getā€™s lighter and it leaves you with room to also feel the good stuff! Itā€™s like learning to play the guitar, or any other instrument for that matter, at first itā€™s really easy to feel hopeless when you canā€™t even strike a simple chord and there are all these virtuosos around you playing flamenco with their theet. You can then decide to think about how lame you are or just start playing your lousy symphony until you get good at it, and eventually even feel joy playing it!

Yeah, weā€™ll keep on suffering for reasons beyond our control, but as I said in the beggining I donā€™t think weā€™re doomed to be victims, for youā€™ll also suffer for reasons that are in your control :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Agents for change in the world. Itā€™s up to us to make the change positive for ourselves and others. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My ā€˜sufferingā€™ paled in comparison to those anorexic women and lost causes I met at the Hospital.

It really humbled meā€¦made me less self-centeredā€¦and made me realize I can do much better than Iā€™m doing.

1 Like

A great quote from Buddha.
He also said
ā€œThe root of suffering is attachmentā€

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Reggie! :sunny:

The Buddhists teach that everyone suffers. Itā€™s just that it varies in degrees from person to person. Thatā€™s what my brother taught me.

To suffer is to liveā€¦

Iā€™d like to punch the Buddhists that say that.

ā€œWhyā€™d you do that?!ā€
ā€œFor saying something so irresponsibly stupid.ā€

1 Like

I believe our suffering is the way we are holy. to suffer is to be holy.

Iā€™ve seen a lot of people enjoy benefits in life that I donā€™t have, but I have reached the point where that doesnā€™t hurt me. Personally, my life has its bad aspects, but it is remarkably comfortable. I look at myself as exceptionally lucky in that regard. I think of someone trapped in a bad marriage and going daily to a job he hates, and I donā€™t feel so unfortunate. I can get pretty grim in my philosophizing, but it is usually about the nature of the world and not about my personal situation.

1 Like

I think I have it bad, alas I have chatted with a couple of people who had brain stem strokes and literally couldnā€™t move their bodies (and I mean literally). Think having to type with a pen attached to ur forehead and u have the right idea. They were kind and resilient none the less. There are people with bigger burdens than u and ur not alone

1 Like

Pretty much everybody suffers at some point in their lives. It is not some cosmic plan that says we have to suffer. The answer is right down here on earth. We have a disease. Itā€™s unlucky for sure. But no one says we have to suffer. No one is dictating that we must suffer. Itā€™s the luck of the draw.

Like Pixel says, there are people out there who suffer more than us. But we are not ordained to suffer.

Life is life. It is what it is. Even if you have schizophrenia you still have choices in life and you can still choose the life you want to live in many ways.

4 Likes