Novel Opening

“I had just awoken from an uneasy dream when the morning sky flickered briefly to dusk. Of course I didn’t notice.”

If you opened a book and this was the first line, would you be captivated enough to continue reading? I’ve been working on a trilogy, called Systemic, and I think I’ve struck gold with this opening. Whatcha think?

There’s probably not enough context, I should get a chapter written to share.

No this has literally never happened to me totally 100% fiction I don’t want to trigger anyone

2 Likes

@Minnii If you’d be comfortable typing up and sharing your story with me, privately or otherwise, I’d like to base one of my characters on you.

And she’s an important character. Kind of like the Trinity of my novel, sort of.

This is interesting, I would keep reading :slight_smile:

I’m not going to share my story because I’m writting fiction myself, based on my experiences… Hope you understand. But you can base the character from what you read here, you have my permission for that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I swear your smiley just winked at me. Fair enough.

I get scrambled when I talk to you sometimes. I’ll take that as a fair indication that your writings will be just as important/worthwhile as my own. Pls share your works sometime. I won’t plagiarize, pinky promise lol

I’m writing in portuguese :smile: Will translate eventually, right now I’m focusing on being coherent. It’s a big step, from not being able to write anything for a long time to go after a book… I might be over my head. Haven’t put a deadline though, I have some time now, I’m enjoying the puzzle of the story

3 Likes

I would keep reading. That’s a good opening.

Trigger warning: Delusions/Ideas of reference. This is 100% fiction.
Imagine you’re holding the book for intended effect.

“They meticulously craft most of your artistic works, from literature to film to your favorite video games. Often with a specific demographic in mind, and sometimes for a specific individual. The book that you’re holding right now, for instance. Except that one, that one was us.”