Not sure which focus to choose for my program

For the Software Development program I’m in, they have three focii to choose from: Language, Web, or Databases. Right now I have languages as my focus, and I’ve paid for all the required classes for that focus.

I want to make sure I’m not making a mistake. I liked building websites when I was younger. But I’d rather be a Java/Python programmer because that pays better, and its equally as fun to me. Idk… I’m taking Web Publishing as part of the Language focus, and I think I’m taking some other web-related course. Perhaps it will be enough to polish my web skills.

Another thing, and this kind of sucks, is that if I did General Studies, I would transfer more easily to a BS in Computer Science program at a 4-year university. For some reason, getting an AAS in Software Development doesn’t transfer as well. It’s sort of a messed up system IMO.

Just had to type all that out. Take care everyone…

Nomad

3 Likes

I was a software developer before the illness struck. We would divide our team into backend programmers and frontend programmers. The latter category usually earned less money. So I think you’re taking the right decision to focus on languages for the time being.

2 Likes

I’ve heard the same thing. Backend requires more training and more technical skills… frontend is more about design …

I’m sorry the illness ended your career. Did you enjoy the career in the first place?

1 Like

Some moments were highly enjoyable, but overall I think I was too stressed out. It might have triggered my illness, among other factors.

1 Like

Languages keeps you more noble man, in designing low level websites you will be forced to sell your nobility so if you want to be a web programmer be the best who design high level websites to remain far from cheap works.

I would seriously consider taking some classes in databases, alongside whatever you choose. Just noting from the kinds of jobs I see posted and fields I see opening up.