New Study: CBT Shown to Ease Psychotic Symptoms Over Years

Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) has been shown to strengthen specific brain connections in people with psychosis. Now, researchers at King’s College London have found that these stronger connections are associated with a long-term reduction in symptoms and recovery even eight years later.

CBT involves helping people change how they think about and respond to their thoughts and experiences. For those with psychotic symptoms — common in schizophrenia and a number of other psychiatric disorders — the therapy involves learning to think differently about unusual thought patterns, such as distressing beliefs that others are out to get them. CBT also helps the patient develop new strategies to reduce internal distress and improve well-being.

Read full story here:

http://psychcentral.com/news/2017/01/18/cbt-shown-to-ease-psychotic-symptoms-over-years/115274.html

Learn more about CBT for Schizophrenia in these videos here:

8 Likes

I am in therapy. It helps to have someone to help monitor the level of symptoms that I have.

Yesterday I thought my neighbors were laughing at me, because I went out earlier to look at the geese flying overhead in my pajamas and robe. They were inside when I was going to work, but they have no blinds and their windows were open. I heard them laugh and thought it was about me. I thought about that excessively yesterday. They don’t pay rent. They’re the landlord’s family. I don’t trust people who don’t pay a mortgage or rent.

1 Like

All mypsychologists do is give me meds and have me talk aout my life. I wish that I could get one that did CBT because nothing is helping but I do still enjoy therapy though, it just doesnt help my symtoms.

Right - therapy can help you enjoy life and accomplish things you want to do even though you still have symptoms. Have you checked with your local NAMI or other group or your insurance company (if you have it) to see if therapy is available? What state/city are you in?

I think I will research ito it.I live Philadelphia,PA

I had one good therapist, maybe two. I think CBT is as helpful as the therapist that implements it.
I’ve had a therapist refuse to see me because we “didn’t fit together.” That was after I mentioned schizophrenia.
I’ve had therapists constantly bring up traumatic childhood memories and then let me go out all in a state of dissociation and anxiety from my ptsd
I’ve had several therapists try to get me to believe in God, despite my bluntly telling them I was an atheist and I am touchy about religion.

It would be nice if the therapist was as good as the promises of CBT, but in the wrong hands it goes awry.

Due to my bad experiences, I find it very hard to trust a therapist to alter my behavior and thoughts.

The problem I have with CBT is that it’s often touted as the miracle cure for a 101 different mental health problems. Also when it doesn’t work I’ve heard of the very arrogant “It wasn’t the therapy the patient wasn’t committed to it enough” type statements coming out.
I guess I’d be happier if there was less hype and less unfounded/unsubstantiated statements around it.

The jury is very much out as to its effectiveness for tackling psychosis. With a lot of the difference in opinion as to its effectiveness involving much debate about what the goals of treatment should be.

1 Like

Its helpful to the positive symptoms …!!!

1 Like

It has been helpful for me, but it is one of many tools in my kit.

:blush:

I sometimes attend Recovery International meetings, there are about 350 meetings in USA, Ireland and Canada.
They use an early form of CBT.
I learned their CBT system 26 years ago or so.
It has helped with fear and anger.

1 Like

@robertc I’ve had the Recovery Inc training also. ‘Feelings are not facts.’ ‘I spotted that I was going for the symbolic victory.’ etc

Helped me a lot.

1 Like

Long debunking of the study.