New Scientist Magazine - 'Detrain Your Brain'

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22129600-500-the-therapy-pill-forget-your-phobia-in-fast-forward/

This scenario will sound familiar to the many other people with phobias. All it takes is a worrying thought or glimpse – whether of a steep drop or a spider’s web – for the mind and body to race into panicked overdrive. These fears are difficult to conquer, largely because the best way of getting over a phobia is to expose yourself to your fear many times over.

But there may be a short cut. Drugs that work to boost learning may help someone with a phobia to “detrain their brain”, losing the fearful associations that fuel their panic. This approach is also showing promise for a host of other problems – from chemical and gambling addictions to obsessive nail-biting. In a bid to find out if it really works, I head to West Virginia to take part in a trial.

2 Likes

Can anyone find the above article with free access, i.e. not behind a paywall?

Can’t get the entire article without subscribing,

I was just thinking, is it like an anti anxiety pill,
or how is it different than what I already take?

I have a hardcopy of this article. They talk about propranolol, D-cycloserine, NAC, etc. There are a few readily available drugs that are currently being tested to accelerate phobia detraining. I used the propranolol based therapy described in the article to detrain my paranoia. It worked.

1 Like

Yeah I take that too.

I think it’s quite a wonder drug.