New epigenetic mechanism revealed in brain cells

Mostly for @SzAdmin, but open for comment from anyone.

The point here is on topic with previous conversations we’ve had about epigentic interventions.

For decades, researchers in the genetics field have theorized that the protein spools around which DNA is wound, histones, remain constant in the brain, never changing after development in the womb. Researchers have now discovered that histones are steadily replaced in brain cells throughout life.

Wow - that sounds really significant - and also hopeful. If things can continue to change throughout life - there is a chance something can reverse the demethylation or other changes that take place in epigenetics.

Exactly. It’ll be a while before the meds are even constructed, let alone tested, but we’ll probably see them on pharmacists’ shelves in five to seven years, I’d guess.

I don’t understand but I hope it is good news.

In the long run, I’d say it’s a very high probability that it will be… though there is a potential “dark side” if this stuff gets in the wrong hands. (Think “Dr. Mengele.”)

Can you explain what this means for schizophrenia? What is this research is leading too ect. thanks

That at some point in the future, various pharmaceutical companies will offer meds that target the methylation and/or de-methylation of short strings of DNA specifically involved in the half dozen or so known, physiological brain dysfunctions underlying sz. I’m not sure what that will do with regard to the cognitive (roughly “thinking”) dysfunctions that are vastly more complex physiologically… but it will (if it works) provide a more precisely targeted way to attack the dopamine system overloading that causes all the overwhelming feelings, delusions and impulsivity than the rather crude way that is accomplished with present-day anti-Ps. Maybe less – maybe even far less – sfx. Time will tell.

1 Like