Negative symptoms: some improvement with quetiapine and gabapentin

I am quite a cocktail of meds but I have noticed an improvement in my negative symptoms whilst taking first gabapentin then later adding in quetiapine.

Has anyone else had experience with these meds?

2 Likes

My son is prescribed Gabapentin/Neurontin. It helps him with anxiety.

I take Quetiapine although I’m not sure it’s really helped with any negative symptoms directly. I do sleep better though which probably has a knock on effect with my mood etc.

We’ve been reducing my dose of Seroquel and had to go up after taking it down because of the symptoms I started having, including lack of motivation. I read that Seroquel helps with negative symptoms and I definitely noticed a difference with a lower dose. I didn’t realize Neurontin also helped with that. That’s one med I was talking about with my PCP. Off label it would help with my back pain and anxiety, and it would also help with my nerve pain. She thinks it would be a great med for me but wants me to ask my pdoc if it would interact with my psych meds. I look forward to trying it. :sunny:

2 Likes

I not sure whether the gabapentin directly helped the negative symptoms or that it just provided enough relief from the anxiety that I was able to look after myself more.

Like you say speak to the professionals before taking it. Where I live it is not licences for use in anxiety but the doc prescribed me it after I signed a disclaimer. Hope it helps.

Am on 600mg of seroquell taken nightly and 2400mg of gabapentin split twice a day. Works for me.

Abilify is the only medication that helped with my negative symptoms. It got me a little too amped up, though, and they had to take me off it.