My speech at dads funeral

Some words Have been changed for ex I don’t call my grandma grandmother.

I have always shied away from speeches, but dad, this one is for you.

Dad, you were a great warrior (a fighter) but you were also a great worrier. You worried about Grandma and us all endlessly.

Dad, you were Gradma’s favourite son. You did everything you could to make her comfortable, no excuses, no questions, you always found a way. Because you felt it was your duty as a son but more importantly it was your wish and dream to take care of her. You always talked so fondly of grandad and I know you looked after him the best you could too. When nana died, it was your wish to bring nan home. Mum is extremely proud of you because you accepted and looked after her as your own mum.

You looked after all of us in the same way without expecting anything in return. You always found happiness in our happiness. I do not remember a time when you asked for anything for yourself.

Dad, when I came into this world, mum told me you cried. She told me they were tears of joy, but I think it was because you knew I was going to be trouble for the rest of your life. You stuck by me through everything with your words of encouragement, support and unconditional love. You never missed a parents evening and when I started working, you called my manager to see how I was doing. You told her not to tell me. But she did. I was not happy about that and you knew it. You always tried to bring out the best in me. You were my voice when I needed you.

Whenever we went shopping together, it was you who asked me if I wanted ice cream, chocolate or biscuits. But when we brought them home I never really had a chance to eat them because you had got to them before me. Whenever I confronted you, your voice trembled when you spoke the truth. Because you know what I’m like. I raised my voice, but you never raised yours to say anything back.

Dad, I know you loved to talk. I always told you that you talked way too much and never knew when to stop. There were many times when I told you to stop talking but you never listened. Over the last few days when I came to see you, I said a lot to you but you did not say anything back. I so desperately wanted to hear your voice, but as always you are as stubborn as anything, you don’t listen to me as usual, you refused to talk.

Dad, you never complained about anything from the food on your plate to the clothes you wore. Remember? I always told you, you had no sense of style. Do you remember the amount of times I made you change?

Dad, mum tells me that before you two got married that your wish was that she helps you to look after grandma and grandad. She did not disappoint you. Grandma and you had such a special mother-son bond between you that I always worried about how you would cope without her. Grandma misses you more than anyone can imagine. I want you to know we will take care of her for you, please do not worry about that.

But dad, you gave us everything we’ve ever wanted and more.

When I came to see you last, I told you something I’ve never been able to say to you. That is “I love you”. And I know you heard me. I will always remember you.

Thank you dad.

8 Likes

@anon80629714, that’s beautiful. What a loving tribute.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

1 Like

Oh @anon80629714, that brought tears to my eyes. Your dad must be so proud of you, whereever he is now. Take care.

1 Like

Ish, that is beautiful

1 Like

A really excellent speech you’ve made. Best wishes to you and your family.

1 Like

That made me tear up @anon80629714 - very beautiful

1 Like

Beautiful. But it makes me sad because it brings back memories from my moms funeral about 8 months ago.

1 Like

I’m so sorry @77nick77 :frowning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.