My problem is that I WAS high functioning

I was diagnosed late in life. Now there’s a part of me that still thinks I’m high functioning as I sit here vegetating on the sofa watching TV. A bit of denial going on I think.

12 Likes

I have a problem with intrusive thoughts really.
I would rather be healthy and high functioning.
But my immediate goal is to get rid of intrusive thoughts.

4 Likes

I think we all have that to a certain extent.

6 Likes

were do you see your self in a year? how to make it gooder or greater then before

3 Likes

Never give up @everhopeful
In the future medicine will advance and you will be cured!
Our problems will go away like a charm!
I dream and dream the impossible dream,
and meanwhile I try the best I can under the existing circumstances, this is what I would advise you.

5 Likes

I was also diagnosed late in life and was very high functioning. I estimate I am about 30 percent of my former self.

3 Likes

I find the Buddhist method of accepting the bad with the good is helpful. Of course, our bad is REALLY bad. Instead of rejecting symptoms as they come along to hurt, accept them, look at them squarely. They might just go away as a result. “If we can’t change the situation, we can change our attitude toward it.” Dr. Abraham Low

4 Likes

hey,

Didn’t get diagnosed till 29… Lot’s of water under the bridge so to speak.

Yeah. They pushed me into working and it’s just not do able for me. I sleep lots. I do poorly under stress and ultimately around people I get paranoid.

These days. i do volunteer work and do well…but not work and government pension.

I hate how they say your high functioning. It’s like saying your leg is broken and it’s a compound fracture.

It’s shite! You are schizophrenic and you can’t do any good because your still schizophrenic and the side effects and such are deal breakers. but you do what you do and you get by.

You are or you aren’t. Fucko functioning. You never will win that one cause your schizophrenic at the base bits of it!

A friend in the struggle,

rogueone.

3 Likes

Compared to how I was just out of the hospital watching tv is a high functioning activity. I was so messed up I couldn’t even do that. I’m still fubared up pretty freaking badly, its only been two years. If you suffer minimal impairment allow yourself to smile. You don’t have to be working for NASA to be high functioning.

3 Likes

I am high functioning but it’s still very difficult. I force myself to work and live independently but it’s very stressful and hard work. I need anti-depressants now because all I can think about is suicide as I am stuck doing my job otherwise I would be homeless. I had the choice to live on benefits and I did for 6 months, but I hated being alone all day with nothing to do so I started working. It worked for a while but a few relapses later I feel the same way about working as I do about being at home and I really need to find a way out soon otherwise I will do something incredibly stupid and damaging to myself and others.

1 Like

Depends what you want to change in your life?
You don’t talk much 'I think :slight_smile:

Do you still have paranoia? Other than the negative symptoms you mention sometimes… How many years have you been ill? That makes a difference too (at least for me, it did)

I think I am doing alright, getting almost most of what I want out of life… Other than some delusions…

So in my opinion, as a friend :slight_smile: Just focus on what you want and can change… Maybe try to exercise as a start, it helps a lot. Even once a week is good enough. So small steps in the right direction… If you are unhappy with yourself, of course.

I think I am fighting against my illness, most of the time. I got fired twice and still in my mind, I think I can work again. This last job I almost took. I just started thinking, it can not be. I am no longer the same (capability) … BUT still good enough in what I need. For now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t posted in a while. I was high functioning with late onset sz. I am working part-time. I currently can’t tell if people are messing with me or not. I will come home and things disappear and then reappear, etc. Paranoia? Targeting? Sorry, I know I am mentally ill and yet things seem so real. I have lost so much from this illness. But I try to live one moment at a time if I feel suicidal and think or do something focused on something or someone besides myself. It’s really a struggle. Finding things to be grateful for helps too.

2 Likes

Hey, you’re the king of vaping. We need to get you your own Website and eStore. Don’t doubt your awesomeness.

2 Likes

U r still high functioning imo. Sure ur not on par with a non sz but compared to what this illness does to a lot of people, count ur blessings

1 Like