My Behavioral Counselor started to rub my back out of no where

I met my personal counselor/case manager today.

She came over my house and we talked on the couch for a while.

She is about my age, was very friendly and has a lot of experience working with people with severe mental illnesses.

At one point during our conversation, I forgot what I said, but she sat pretty close to me and took her hand and started to rub my back - back and forth.

I think that she was either sympathizing with me or trying to console me.

But I honestly don’t remember saying anything to make her react in this manner.

I kind of felt that this was a bit odd for her to do this, considering she is my behavioral counselor and we just met.

What do you guys think?

Is this normal or appropriate behavior?

Kind of strange if you ask me

1 Like

Its normal. I think us sz folk are hyper aware of every movement

1 Like

I think you are right @anon89143308
She was most likely just trying to make me feel more at ease.

She was super nice
I have a difficult time reading other people’s behaviors/intentions sometimes.

Having Schizophrenia sucks

1 Like

I’m thinking, “Cha Ching”.

3 Likes

Hey @Wave I’m guessing she was maybe trying to comfort you. With that said, if you don’t want to be touched, you should just politely let her know that it makes you uncomfortable.

I can’t recall ever being touched by a pdoc or therapist other than maybe shaking hands. I personally would be uncomfortable in that situation because I don’t like to be touched by people I don’t know well.

2 Likes

lol that is funny @77nick77 :smile:

1 Like

I think she knew that I was nervous so she was probably just letting me know that she cares.

I didn’t mind the touching, just took me by surprise a bit.

If she makes a habit of being too "touchy"
I will let her know to back off a bit in a nice way.

It really wasn’t inappropriate I’m realizing, I will get a better sense of it all once I start to get to know her more.

2 Likes

@Wave dude that could be potential booty…don’t chase her away !!

3 Likes

if my counselor did that to me, that would be totally unexpected and I would literally shrivel and probably throw up…

yet I’ve never been in that situation. I think the closest I got was a female cop frisking me, and when that happened I withdrew and did not comply.

In the end of the day, I don’t really think it’s about whether or not we think it was normal. but I think the real question is if you think it was normal. If you’re cool with it, then keep that counselor. but if it was awkward, then you should probably tell her to not do that kind of stuff, or probably try to find another counselor.

1 Like

lol That is funny as hell @jukebox!
I don’t know … come to think about it she is attractive :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve never had that happen to me.

I would be a bit freaked out about it.

1 Like

This might sound off the wall, but could be that was her way of trying to assert some kind of dominance over you for the sake of therapy. She might have been trying to gain the upper hand so she can take the role of leading therapy.

2 Likes

Maybe she thought you needed a hug, and that was the next best thing.

2 Likes

I find that very weird, @Wave

not knowing you

and being in a professional position.
It’s nice to get home visits though,

that’s easier for us, I think.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you have the right to request to be frisked by a male officer. Females can request to only be touched by female officers, so I see no reason why the opposite shouldn’t be true. I don’t know if that would be any better for you though.

Wave, as a case manager, I have comforted my clients by patting them on the back before. All my clients were children, though, or young adults with mental disabilities that gave them the mentality of children. So maybe it’s different. The kids usually sought out physical comfort first, though. If you ask her not to touch you, that should be fine. I’m sure she would understand.

2 Likes

the exception, Ninjastar, is nuclear facilities or high security entrance areas,

the men do pat down any woman who comes in. It’s strange, cuz,
they let people come in to apply for a job,

but they make them get all kinds of clearance. I would think it’s a lot of extra work.

No it doesn’t sound off the Wall @crimby
Actually I was thinking the same thing

She isn’t a therapist in the traditional sense but rubbing my back might have been a way to tell me that she will be in charge.

It actually makes sense in many ways

You guys are reading too much into this. It was probably an act of human kindness, or at least an attempt at it.

3 Likes

Yeah @Wave I’ve read into female counselors reactions … My new counselor seemed to almost cry when I was telling my childhood… Very sweet of her… But I started wondering if it was a psychological ploy… For what idk… But I’m a mashed up guy it seems

1 Like

I kind of like being stroked like that, at lest when it has happened to me in the past. Human contact can be very comforting.

2 Likes