Mini psychotic episodes

I’ve been having short, maybe 20 minute periods where I feel psychotic (paranoia, visual distortion, feels like a drug trip). It doesn’t last long, but it is intense. Anyone else ever have these? Or does your psychosis last longer?

2 Likes

I can get mini episodes too. Also longer ones of course. Usually the “mini” one is a flare up caused by exposure to a trigger. Start looking at what situations are causing those flare ups so you know.

3 Likes

Does size really matter? All our doctor should know is it’s a psychotic episode and if you keep having them you get brain damage pretty much. Permanent stress and targeting seems to perpetuate from my hallucinations since they identify themselves as (real people which is ludicrous), I have constant tactile and auditory hallucinations day in day out. I’m seriously not for any of them, mini-small of large. I want to get rid of them.

3 Likes

It causes brain damage?!

Psychosis in general causes brain damage over time unless you are on medication

2 Likes

Well thats a drag you know youd think theyd tell me stuff like this at the drs

1 Like

Wait…it causes brain damage?

Also, what do you mean visual distortion?

by visual distortion, i mean that the surroundings seem to almost move and wave. Trees look like they are bending and things seem to change color. Odd experience

I’ve been having weird vision. I even saw an eye doctor, but said my vision is fine.

Yeah it really frustrates me when doctors just throw meds at you without explaining anything. Psychoeducation is really important for both patients and their families.

4 Likes

just spoke with my pdoc about the mini psychotic episode and she just changed my meds up a bit – nothing more. No explanation or anything regarding the actual psychosis. Maybe I am not voicing myself properly to her

I like my new doctor because he explains things in detail. Ask her for explanation or does she seem to rush?

1 Like

she just seems to rush. I don’t really blame her though, she is really busy with patients – it’d be tough to be very thorough with that many people. Plus it’s Friday and i think she just wanted to get the hell outta the office

My doctor seems to take his precious time lol sometimes I’m done and he’s still talking

But it’s good he takes his time. However, for example, my next appointment is May 31st at 10 am I know I probably won’t see him until noon because he takes his time.

But if she seems to rush and you don’t have answers, make sure she answers your questions.
There was a doctor when I was inpatient who came early in the morning wake me up and just ask “how are you?” then just left but I find him later and stop him to talk.

Therapy is where they would help you find the triggers for that and understand it. Pdocs are really just there to give meds.

Sound familiar.

Sounds like you’re being drugged. But that’s a common delusion, so you should probably ignore me. I doubt that’s the case.

Yeah it sounds familiar. But if it’s psychosis that I’ve had, it lasted many days… Sometimes for a short while too like you

1 Like

If I find myself in an extremely stressful situation, I get a flare up of positive symptoms, but it only lasts for a little bit, as opposed to my non-medicated self where psychosis lasted for months. I can get psychotic while on medication, but it has to be under extreme duress, like I fear for my life or something. ’

I get like flashbacks of voices, intrusive thoughts, memories of hallucinations that almost trick me into thinking they’re coming back, and extreme paranoia and delusions. I have to go sort through the emotions somehow and I settle down, but and the symptoms pass, but that’s only when I’m already on consistent medicine (otherwise, it might never stop).

I always wondered if it was normal for sz’s to get “mini attacks” under stress like I did, or if it was just too low a dose. I think my dose is high enough to cover me for the majority of daily life, but every now and then there’s this event that triggers an episode…wish there was an immediately acting, short-span antipsychotic, like an asthma inhaler that you only use when you need it…

I have acute episodes too, usually they last 2-3 hours, they don’t go away unless I take a prn of 200mg Seroquel.