Might be looking at med change

Had impromptu blood test previous depot time as prolactin had gone up from 625-709. Level has gone up again to 726. At previous highest level of 720 there was talk of adding abilify but levels then went down. Have to do another test in a months time and then they’ll review again.
Option is adding low dose abilify although because I am bad re oral meds might be a complete change of meds instead.

I had a blood test sometime ago and results were good, I am happy with my current meds.

@mjseu that’s good.

Good luck to You fire monkey,hope you remain mental symptoms free and have a successful meds change

I have got the best outcome now with meds
But abilify gave me terrible anxiety but everyone is different

It would be a low dose if added on so guess it would be ok but am very prone to anxiety.

U can try abilify and see how u get on
Have u tried many antipsychotics?

Hey @firemonkey - Those are high prolactin numbers, mine are nearly within normal range, just a bit high, but I suffer from the side effects associated with higher prolactin levels.
Do you suffer from side effects? How are your Testosterone levels?
As I posted earlier, Abilify is used to lower prolactin levels, especially beneficial for those of us taking risperidone or paliperidone. I would ask my doctor if I could add some Abilify, but I cannot even take 5 mg of the stuff - way to anxiety provoking and stimulating. You suffer from anxiety as well, I do not know how Abilify will affect you.

Good luck to you - I am in the process of switching meds, for me it is a pain in the neck - for you it might be easier

Of the second generation- risperdone, seroquel(v low dose) and olanzapine. First generation- largactil,mellaril,veractil, stelazine, orap plus modecate and redeptin depot.

Not tried amisulpiride or clozapine then

Possibly less sexual desire(masturbate less) but not important as no sex or 24 years. No idea about testosterone . Slight gynaecomastia? but had that before risperdal

No - not sure I’d be candidate for clozapine as (a) partial response to other antipsychotics (b) would not be given to someone with personality disorder albeit a schizophrenia spectrum one.

@firemonkey - I dont think that having high prolactin levels alone, without significant side effects is reason enough alone for a pdoc to get a patient of of a particular med - not unless a patient is having significant side effects, I honestly dont know much about high levels of prolactin and when does a pdoc decide to pull a patient off of a med like Risperdal.
I mean I have almost normal levels of prolactin, just slightly elevated - but I am suffering from sexual side effects, very mild galactorrhea - very infrequently, some breast soreness, mild gynecomastia, and low testosterone.
I wonder if these side effects are reason enough for my pdoc to make me switch medications.

I am doing so well on Risperdal, mentally - that I am frankly afraid to switch over to a med that will make me destabilize.
All of the APs have side effects - I will never be free from these side effects - I am going to ask her about how dangerous the side effects that I am experiencing are, and is it necessary that I switch over to a new med.
No med is perfect when it comes to side effects - I may just learn to take a hit and live with these high prolactin side effects. I have a complex form of bipolar - and Risperdal has been a life saver for me, it has been a very good antipsychotic - mood stabilizer.
Maybe she can lower the Risperdal and add a low dose of another antipsychotic to it - I will soon find out

1 Like